GS550 HElp!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 HElp!!!

Hi I'm new here and have just aquired a 1978 GS550 E. I know it ran but has been sitting for 5 years. My question is: The throttle doesn't move very much is the carb gummed up? and is there anything I can do to free it up with out taking it all apart? Like put some carb cleaner trough the fuel line. Any advice on what to do before I try to start it would be welcomed. Thanks Steve

Welcome to the forum!!

If the bike has been setting that long (with fuel in it) - you are definitely going to have to remove and re-build the carbs - there is no easy way to take care of this. Also, make sure you lube all the cables after doing the re-build. Check the GS garage, on the homepage, and refer to the carb re-build article, it will be a big help. 8)

Comment

no way around it, if your slides aren't moveing very well and it has very old gas it in, then you will need to clean and dip your carbs, follow this link,

it's a lot easier then you think it is.

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by shaftzuki
        Welcome to the forum!!

If the bike has been setting that long (with fuel in it) - you are definitely going to have to remove and re-build the carbs - there is no easy way to take care of this. Also, make sure you lube all the cables after doing the re-build. Check the GS garage, on the homepage, and refer to the carb re-build article, it will be a big help. 8)
        Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
          no way around it, if your slides aren't moveing very well and it has very old gas it in, then you will need to clean and dip your carbs, follow this link,

-ryan
          Thanks Ryan I don't think I'm posting return posts correctly , what do I click on to reply??

Comment

you did it right, the only thing you could have done diffrently was reply to both of us in one post, but it doesn't matter everyone here gets the jist of a converstion so it's no big deal.

-ryan
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x

Comment

Thanks Ryan BTW I was looking on ebay the other day and found no GS550's for sale but tons of parts. Where are all the bikes??

Comment

search ebay for gs 550 and gs550 there are tons of things out there.

-ryan
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x

Comment

Originally posted by first timer

-ryan
                  Hi ryan well I got the carbs off not an easy task You were right there terrable inside I'll need to rebuild them. Is there a how to do that's written for a rebuild and will it tell me all the info like air mix ajustments etc.? I looked at one with pics for the 750 I think you said it's pretty much the same. My carbs are a little different looking they have a hump back covers on the top. Are they Mikuni?? and will the K & L kits you see on ebay work? I'm not a real good wrencher so I need lots of help and have to know step by step what to do I can't read between the lines very well..LOL.. And I have never sync a set of carbs. Thanks for all the help I really apperiecate it Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X