carburator problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carburator problem

Is there a way to replace the floats with out taking the carbs off. I have a terribel gas overflow problem that i feel certain is the result of a stuck or bad float. I am very inexperienced and am afraid to take the carbs all the way apart.
    Or better yet, is there anything I can run through it to unstick the float?
    Thanks
    Chuck
    1980 gs550L

Chuck,

I think all the 1980 550's had 8-valve engines, and in that case, the answer is no. I have a 78 GS750 with the same 8-valve engine and getting the float bowl screws off was impossible with out removing the airbox and then the carb.

I know it's a pain, but just take em off carefully and remember how you did it, where the hoses go, etc. My float was stuck because the parting line (from casting the float body) was rubbing on the bowl housing. All that for just a quick fix ](*,)

-jon
    16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
    13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
    78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
    Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
    02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

this is my 1st bike and it did this after i got it. (it had been in storage for years)But once i rode it some it quit and was fine until it got to cold to ride regularly which is why i was hoping i could just run some kind of cleaner through it. Another member of the group suggested i start it and tap the carbs until the float breaks loose, which worked last year but doesnt seem to do anything now.

Comment

Originally posted by cgoidel
        this is my 1st bike and it did this after i got it. (it had been in storage for years)But once i rode it some it quit and was fine until it got to cold to ride regularly which is why i was hoping i could just run some kind of cleaner through it. Another member of the group suggested i start it and tap the carbs until the float breaks loose, which worked last year but doesnt seem to do anything now.
        Sounds like taking them out and cleaning them really well should clear that up for good. Tapping float bowls does work, but not all the time!

Good luck-
        Jon
        16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
        13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
        78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
        Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
        02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
        12 Aprilia Shiver 750
        82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

When I got my 550T last fall it had been sitting since 97 and everything in the carbs was gummed up. Took off the carbs and cleaned and blew them out and got the bowls all working etc. Then I only had the two outside cylinders and so I took the carbs off again and the little buggers looked like I'd never cleaned them, so I did the whole thing again. And wa la all four cylinders light up. I have to replace the diaphragm in one carb and retune but it works wonders

Comment

Re: carburator problem

Originally posted by cgoidel
            I am very inexperienced and am afraid to take the carbs all the way apart.
            It is not a difficult job. If you can assemble a jigsaw puzzle, you can do the carbs. Just watch what you do, make notes or photos as necessary, get a manual, and have a look at the carb cleaning series on this site.

Before you put them back in the bike, make sure there are no parts left over!!!!

You'll develop lots of confidence from completing the task.

SV

Comment

have You already checked the fuel petcock is not leaking? If the fault is there, You'll save a lot of precious time...

Comment

YEP! I REPLACED THE PETCOCK RIGHT AFTER I GOT IT. IT WOULD LEAK THE WHOLE TANK OUT SITTING IN THE DRIVEWAY NOT RUNNING.

Comment

Check out this carb rebuild series from this site. http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

They are really pretty simple and if you have miminal mechanical skill at all, you can do it. Take your time and keep carb parts separate - don't mix the parts. Best to do one at a time.

Turn the adjustment screws in until they LIGHTLY bottom out. Count the number of turns and record them so you can reset them when you get done. Also, if you have carb questions, do a search in the technical section for answers. I think that earlfor and KEITH KRAUSE are two of the most knowledgeable people on carbs, so if you do what they suggest, you can't go wrong.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X