Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone considered a mod to use the new style GSXR coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone considered a mod to use the new style GSXR coils?

Just a thought, has anyone considered using teh new style coil per plug system from the newer GSXR's on an older SUzuki?
    Seems like it would be much more efficient, with lower resistive and inductive losses than the conventional system. Are there any physical or elctrical constraints that would prevent using them( other than a little creative wiring).
    Just a thought, not like I can justify the cost or time after getting new dyna green coils.

Thanks,
    Derrick

I don't know, it's gonna be hard to find someone who would rather go that way than the time tested, top of the line Dyna coils like you got.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

accel coils are just as good and the kits usally come with spark plug wire all for around 130 bucks depending where you buy them.

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I have thought about trying the individual coils. The only thing that I see as an issue is the triggering two coils at a time with the standard GS ignitor. There might be an impedance mismatch.

The coils are cheap on Ebay, so I might just give it a shot.

Comment

Jack,
          Let me know if you decide to try, I have a complete service manual in PDF format for a 2001-3 GSXR600, with wiring diagrams, but the file is huge (100 meg) . If you need anything specific though, I could probably print out what you need.

Derrick

Comment

Derrick

Take a look at the Electrical System Chapter and see if it has an ohmeter test for the coil resistance. On the GS coils it specifies 3 to 5 ohms. I would like to see twice that value on the GSXR coils to make the igniter see the correct impedance.

I did a little research this afternoon. The gsxr uses a CR9E (10mm) plug. This plug is smaller than the B7ES (14mm) plug on my 1100. I have some concerns whether or not the coils will fit on the larger plug. I will check this in the morning. If the insulator is close to the same, I may get a set of coils and give it a shot.

Comment

Jack,
              the primary coil resistance specs are : 0.8 to 2.0 ohms, you could probably run them in series and get the correct impedance.

Also, the peake primary voltage should be greater than 80 volts, what is the voltage supplied by the stock GS system?

If you need the manual, I will burn you a disk and snail mail it to you.

My curiosity is definately peaked, even if there is no definative performance improvement, it would be kinda trick to get it to work and would really clean up the top of the motor.

let me know what else you need.

Derrick

Comment

I tried this on my gs750ed. I just wired each coil individually to ground, and made a 'y' in each of the 'ignited' wires from the coil....to each pair of plugs. The individual coils have a resistance of 1.5 ohms each. I figured that as each coil was firing two coils at the same time the resistance read by the ignitor would be the required 3 ohms.

While nothing dreadful happened and there was a bit of random spark at the plugs, the bike did not run. But....there may be a way....and the four of them only cost 5.00. Also....they fit onto our plugs just fine.

If you figure it out, please be sure and post.

S.

Comment

OK...so that was a bit haywire. The two 'Y's ran directly from the ignitor to the individual coils.

There. What was I thinking?

S

Comment

The two 'Y's ran directly from the ignitor to the individual coils.
                    Did you run them in series or parallel? If you used a "Y" connector to split the signal to the plugs, then it was parallel and the ignition would see a resistance of about 0.75 ohms.

Comment

Derrick

The stock GS is a direct 12 volts. This may be a problem that is hard to overcome.

It appears that the GSXR system is a CDI. The GS is a conventional system.

GSXR= Coils are grounded and the ignition sends voltage to fore the plug.
                      GS= Coils are powered and the ignition sends a ground to fire the plugs.

This is not a show stopper, but it is an issue.

Silverhorse47 provided some good info regarding the spark plug fit.

I think that some of the older kawasaki's were CDI systems. I will look into that as a possible ignition module replacement.

I still think that this is a good idea!

Comment

Derrick...yes, I ran them parallel. I see what you mean. I might give it another go the other way when it's warmer. Never thought of it at the time.

S.

Comment

Working...
                        X