power at the start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power at the start

my question is this i have a 1978 GS750 Suzuki it seems to run great it starts right up i just had a major tune up with valve adjustment and carbs synchronized timing set etc. the bike has 28,000 miles and seems to be well taken care of , there is a leak oil at the head very minor and the dealership here that did my valves adjustment said they would not worry about it until maybe next year but this is not a problem as of now ,
    I was trying to save money and they said they would tell me what was important to do and what could wait , OK my problem is it seems very slow from the start , yes it builds up speed and i ride at 70 - 80 mph on the freeway but it is like it is gutless is that normal for this bike and carrying me at 330 pounds ,
    I used to ride a sportster for 3 years before this bike and before that it was a 1000 virago and a 750 kawasaki ltd these others had more power by far i think ,also i had an old 650 triumph chopper that seemed to have alot of umph to it , i grew up riding alot of different bikes ,
    is this normal for my suzuki , I know i am not ,so dont tell me how i sound wound a little tight here ,i get that quite often ,thank you

Keep in mind byron that these bikes like to be reved and not lugged down, and at 330 lbs it is the same as riding two average size people, so there is some extra power loss there, did they do a compression check on the engine and was it good? this would be one factor out side of the tune up that would make a large diffence, not putting you down but this bike maybe to small for your needs, your other bikes with the exception of the kawa. are all high torque low rev engines

Comment

i had a 72 cb750 honda that also seemed much better ,my friend who sold me the bike was my size and he upgraded to a 1100 goldwing but he says how great the bike has been ,myself i am contemplating saving and selling this bike and getting a bigger bike or fixing my magna that i have also it is well worn but it had alot more get up and go to and its a 750 magna ,
      my compression in the suzuki was 90 something per 3 cylinders and one like 89 they said it was a little low but still good
      i dont know , hey thanks for the advice

Comment

Assuming the bike is ok I would check the sprockets It most likley has a
        15/41 combo ?? A change to a 43T rear may be what you need

Comment

Bryon I have an 82 GS750 and weigh in at about 275lbs. Under 5000 rpms she's a pussy cat, above 5000 rpms she'll slide me back on the seat. Don't be afraid to twist the throttle. Our GS's love that range between 5 and 9 thousand

Comment

at 90 psi its time to do the top end,(if check was done right) compression is horse power, you need about 130psi to have any kind of power, did they check the torque on the head?

Comment

Working...
            X