needle position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

needle position

I went with Pods, Yosh race pipe and a Dynojet stage 3 kit with 138 main jets. The bike runs better than it ever has but it still has a decreasing flat spot based on needle position. It was running too rich when I raised the needle up, clip on lowest ( bottom of needle ) position because someone said that the average was the 5 or 6 lowest ( highest needle positions).

I have tried 6, 5, 4, 3 and it keeps getting better, the leaner it is the better and crisper it is, with the smallest flat spots in 5500 plus in high gear.

Am I missunderstanding everyone? before I go to the 2nd highest (leanest) on the needle position should I go all the way to 6 and skip 5?

Why would my bike be opposite of everyone elses?
    Leaner has been a definate improvement over the richer settings.

Ian

jets

Ah follow your plug readings in mid range grasshopper, and take small steps and skip none

Comment

Have you given Dynajet tech support a call? I would pick their brains a bit they have been very helpful for me in the past.

Email support:

phone support:

1982 GS1000S Katana
      1982 GS1100E

Comment

I called and they were very helpful. I am going from a 5 needle position ( 5 from the bottom of the needle to a 4 1/2 with moving the above washer below the 4 clip position.

I will give it a go in a few minutes.

Ian

Comment

jets

are you watching your plugs??? if there white then your going to have problems, you may have to live with a flat spot with that pipe rather than damage the engine, plug readings count not flat spots

Comment

Of course it's running better when you lean it out, it's making more power. At a dangerous heat price though.

As dynojet reccomended, you probably need a shim for a 1/2 needle setting.

Comment

Working...
            X