what oil should i use??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what oil should i use??????

My gs1000e is due for a oil change, it has 40thousand km on it, should I consider a synthetic????

Mobil 1 - 15W50 is good for warm weather riding. If it's cooler by you still (below 50 degrees F) use 10W40.

Synthetics are far superior than conventional oil at just about everything. Of course some may say you should use motorcycle oil only on these things, but I've had no issues...

~Adam

Comment

Also change it often and dont use oils that have friction modifications in them. The trick is oil and filter often. I use 20 50 any brand most of the time. i will be sticking with a synthetic after my suzuki engine is completed though.
      I have used syntec and mobile one on my suzuki with 60K miles on it and it did not cause leaks. I had one leak in a crancase gasket bit i arrtibute it to old age. after i sealed that leak. I only had a leak at the cam chain tensioner which was alway there and quite common.

Comment

Oh no, here it goes!

It really doesn't make a difference. What does make a difference is how often you change it. Oil serves two purposes, lubrication and cleansing. Both syn and dyno will hold up as good as each other until the time you should change it.

Some people say that synthetic oil is better because it holds it's viscosity longer. That has no advantage here, as all oils get dirty at the same rate.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
          Also change it often and dont use oils that have friction modifications in them. The trick is oil and filter often. I use 20 50 any brand most of the time. i will be sticking with a synthetic after my suzuki engine is completed though.
          I have used syntec and mobile one on my suzuki with 60K miles on it and it did not cause leaks. I had one leak in a crancase gasket bit i arrtibute it to old age. after i sealed that leak. I only had a leak at the cam chain tensioner which was alway there and quite common.

Hey scotty, try replacing the little o-ring in the cam-chain tensioner. When I took off mine, it was compltely baked!

But as for oil, Jethro is pretty much right. It doesn't really matter toooo much what oil you use, just change it often (with the filter too).

I will be running motul synthetic, based on the fact that it gives me much smoother shifting, and slightly better heat protection. It also keeps the insides of the engine cleaner (if your comparing the same oil change intervals between dyno and syn oils).

Its really up to you. If you cant make up your mind, maybe try synthetic blend? whatever you do, just change it often (every 3-4000km [2-2500miles] is pretty good)

poot

Comment

oil

I only use the very rare Fastassonabitchy oil from Japan, it comes in .005 to 40,000 sae weights and is refined from the rare green butted monkeys testicles, price 100,000 yen per qt. plus shipping!!! 8O 8O 8O

Comment

Gee-s-is Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:25 am Post subject: oil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only use the very rare Fastassonabitchy oil from Japan, it comes in .005 to 40,000 sae weights and is refined from the rare green butted monkeys testicles, price 100,000 yen per qt. plus shipping!!!
              Do you have a link for that oil? I'm sick of the Burmiese Python eyeball extract oil I usually have imported from Singapore...
              Currently bikeless
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

working in the oil/automotive lubrication industry (har har, i'm a greasemonkey) all my research regarding "synthetic blends" has led me to discover that the majority, if not all automotive synthetic blend oils are in fact around 80-90% dino oil, and around 10-20% synthetic IF that. the majority are just using synthetic anti-wear agents, and that's about it. i can't say anything about motorcycle oil, as i've only got experience with motul 15w50 synthetic and major brand motorbike dino oils, but i'm inclined to wonder if the practices are the same

Chris

Comment

Jethro,
                  You missed one it also cools
                  So viscosity is important for it to be able to flow and cool, and clean and lube.

That's why there is different weights to also add in cooling.

Originally posted by Jethro
                  Oil serves two purposes, lubrication and cleansing. Both syn and dyno will hold up as good as each other until the time you should change it.

Some people say that synthetic oil is better because it holds it's viscosity longer. That has no advantage here, as all oils get dirty at the same rate.
                  Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by m0unds
                    working in the oil/automotive lubrication industry (har har, i'm a greasemonkey) all my research regarding "synthetic blends" has led me to discover that the majority, if not all automotive synthetic blend oils are in fact around 80-90% dino oil, and around 10-20% synthetic IF that. the majority are just using synthetic anti-wear agents, and that's about it. i can't say anything about motorcycle oil, as i've only got experience with motul 15w50 synthetic and major brand motorbike dino oils, but i'm inclined to wonder if the practices are the same

Chris
                    me too! I work now at "Mr. Lube"..... :roll: anyone need a synthetic/oem oilchange??? transmission?

ill "hook you up"

Comment

Jethro,
                      You missed one it also cools
                      So viscosity is important for it to be able to flow and cool, and clean and lube.

That's why there is different weights to also add in cooling.
                      I have always been under the impression that the reason it "cools" the engine is mostly due to it's lubrication of the engine. Oil isn't a cooling agent itself, the engine stays cool due to less friction.

I guess I should have said the only two important things oil has to do is lube and clean!
                      Currently bikeless

Comment

well, oil can cool because of friction reduction and because it also can convey heat-- it's like water in a radiator. the water itself can carry some heat, and when it comes in contact with the aluminum and copper of a radiator, it radiates the heat. the same principle applies to a finned aircooled engine-- the oil allows the engine casing to radiate heat. of course, the engine could do it on its own, but not as well

Comment

No doubt that's why the oil pan has fins on it.

Comment

WHAT OIL TO USE ?????

GOOD ?

MINES A 1985 WITH 11,100 ORIGINAL MILES ON IT
                            CHANGED IT OVER TO AMSOIL SYNTHETIC ABOUT
                            2500 MILES AGO
                            RUNS GREAT NO LEAKS
                            AMSOIL IS THE OLDEST SYNTHETIC ON THE MARKET
                            AND BY FAR THE BEST
                            BUT YOUR GOING TO PAY FOR IT $$$$$

GARY

Comment

Originally posted by m0unds
                              well, oil can cool because of friction reduction and because it also can convey heat...
                              Like many other bikes, my Kawasaki ZR-7S is described as "air/oil cooled" because it has an oil cooler (a radiator in effect). For cooling reasons, that Kawasaki has oil jets bathing the underside of the pistons.

Comment

Working...
                              X