VM28 -> 29 mm smoothbores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM28 -> 29 mm smoothbores?

If I would put on some 29 mm smoothbores instead of my stock carbs would it be worth it?

1979 GS1000S, stock bike with 4-1 pipe, stock airbox, 1100 bigbore in the future maybe.

Everyone I know that knows their stuff says yes Robinjo. But I am also told that the smoothbores are not for cruising at all. Shouldn't be a problem

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
      Everyone I know that knows their stuff says yes Robinjo. But I am also told that the smoothbores are not for cruising at all. Shouldn't be a problem
      I'd like to know some more details Mark, what have you been told about performance improvements?

Comment

I have never seen any but some of the Euro GS's had 28mm stock ??
        I do think the Kawaski had 28mm The 29's are getting scarce

Comment

i have a set of 29's that came on my bike when i bought it, but i am still rebuilding it and don't know how much of a improvement they are. if i get it running i will try both the 29's and a set of 26's and see what they are like. thats going to be a while thou.

(domino your 1000 ready for a little race? :twisted: )

i also heard from the guy i bought the bike from that when he took the bike to the shop for repairs the guy working there rembered the bike (because it had a lester front wheel) from back when, because he had never seen a guy ride a wheelie as long the guy who had the bike before both of us had. these 29's on the bike came with the bike when the guy before me bought it cause he didn't know much about 29's. so i bet they help when running a pods and a 4 into one and maybe a mild cam/pistons.

-ryan
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            I have never seen any but some of the Euro GS's had 28mm stock ??
            I do think the Kawaski had 28mm The 29's are getting scarce
            I have the 28 mm carbs on my bike, also on my previous S, they came as stock overhere as far as I know with the '79 models.

[little fact]There are 20 GS1000S's left in Holland, so I own 5% of them [/little fact]

Comment

Originally posted by wrench
              Originally posted by Hoomgar
              I'd like to know some more details Mark, what have you been told about performance improvements?

hmmm, everything I got is all verbal John. Let me see if I can find something in writing. There is a lot of talk about them on the internet but my main source of info I trust most is Paparo and he said when we started the rebuild of my engine to find a set of 29 or larger smoothbores. He said that combined with the 4-into-1, pods and other mods we were doing that they would help me realize much more potential that the engine will have that I would get with VM's or CV's.

It took me a while to find a set and I had actually settled on a set of 34mmcv's that we were going to use when I happened onto my set of 33mm smoothies by chance from a good friend.

Some of the guys I ride with also say the same thing. That if you flowed your head and are going to run pods with a header a set of smoothies is the way to go. One thing I have been told from anyone I talked to is that they are not optimal for highway riding (long stretches at one rpm) but they will work. They seem to be better suited to hoping on it. I have also been told that if not setup perfectly there can be some initial lag when snapping up the wick before things get going.

I myself have yet to see any of this. But I will soon. And I will let you know for sure.

Comment

The 29's are well worth it. I've got them on my 79 GS1000S and they're great for all around driving. The increase in acceleration at all throttle positions is worth it and they do cruise real steady. The best is the way the bike jumps ahead at 100MPH!

Comment

Re: VM28 -> 29 mm smoothbores?

Originally posted by robinjo
                  If I would put on some 29 mm smoothbores instead of my stock carbs would it be worth it?

1979 GS1000S, stock bike with 4-1 pipe, stock airbox, 1100 bigbore in the future maybe.
                  If you go with the smoothbores, do yourself a favor and get K&N oval filters (p/n RC2454) to compliment them. Perfect match. The 1085/1100 pistons you mentioned would fit nicely too.
                  With the stock airbox, the smoothbores are suffocated in my opinion.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I had a set of 29s, but couldn't really tell much difference. The stock 26s actually feel quicker because of the low end response. I don't do much riding over 100mph.

Comment

Originally posted by weazzor
                      The 29's are well worth it. I've got them on my 79 GS1000S and they're great for all around driving. The increase in acceleration at all throttle positions is worth it and they do cruise real steady. The best is the way the bike jumps ahead at 100MPH!
                      What other mods do you have on the bike besides the carbs?
                      Just curious!

Comment

I posted elsewhere that it has a Bassani pipe and K&N filters. Besides the carbs, that's it.

Comment

Working...
                        X