Fork Extensions is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Extensions is it possible?

I have a used bike that I am planning on putzying around with it. I am going cheap. A favorite word of mine till my wife sees the bills.

I want to extend the front forks six and half inches out and lower them down to make the front end longer. I am not going to cut the chassis or rake it down. I dropped the rear to compensate for the front. 2/12 inches above the rear tire.

Heres my idea.
    I am going to find the same size pipe for the extensions. I am going to cut the pipe off and weld them on to the tops of the forks 6/12 inches. Before I weld them I am going to take the same size springs and using a bar inside the springs use that to hold them together. I will cut the springs to accomadate for the extension. I will then put the caps on top back on. Fill with fluid etc.
    I cut off the gauge tabs and will use the same triple trees. I ground down all unnecessary tabs. I will take a larger diameter pipe and use these for sleeves between the trees. These will be painted and hide the welds on the extended forks.

If all said and done and it goes right I should have front forks that extend 6 1/2 inches further up the trees. This will give me a soft tail look on a twin cyclinder bike.

Any thoughts or is there an easier and cheaper way to do this? I have about $120 into the original bike its a twins 750 ohc.

750 ohc are we talking Honda here?????? I would look for something on ebay Or get some tubes from "Forks By Frank" for $$$$

Comment

hmm busted eh??? 8)

I am a die hard fan believe me I am I have two gs's right now.

But when I saw this 750 ohc yamaha tx engine. I just fell inlove with its head design and the way the exhaust looks exiting the heads. Really a cool retro looking bike.

I am searching ebay now, but nothing is turning up. ill try your link tho.

update I cant seem to find the site using google have a link maybe??
      Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc., Evanston, IL, 60202, motorcycle fork tubes,forking by frank,german,japanese,spanish,chicago,motorcycle,forks,tubes,fork tubes,bikes,cycles,choppers,honda,suzuki,kawasaki,yamaha,bmw,triumph,bsa,norton,maico,harley davidson,, motorcycles,motorcycle parts,parts,engines

is this it?

Comment

Franks Maintance & Engineering Evanston Ill ph 847 475-1003
        You tell them what you want & they will make it for you

Comment

Dont attempt what I mentioned earlier,
          One its a liability issue,
          Two most of the ones who made extensions may have died or got seriously injured from trying it in the 70's.

I got a good lecture from a fork manufacturer as to why front forks either need to be all in one piece or left alone.

Comment

while I am a rank novice in metal working and chopper building, I would second your fork maker's advice... :?

but I would really like to screw around with this on my bike too. I would be inclined to appreciate a chopper look (tho I don't know if I could stand the feel after a nice GS ride ) and have been wondering what I could do with existing parts too...

maybe a change of the triple tree to adapt it's height? large tubes that ours fit into and clamp that clamp to the tree? hmmm let me know if you find a good fix, eh??

Comment

all tho these arent gs, at least most of em. I did get some great ideas from these photos.

gs guys please don't ban me for sharing this.

Comment

I will post what I decide to do. I have to sleep on it tonight.

Comment

This is were I have a bit of expierance and (to save a life) I'm willing to share.
                  I've built a few hradtails (choppers) in my day and have been around them since the late 60's. My Dad and Uncle were always building something that they could get killed on.

Unless you can get a front end with long ONE PIECE tubes don't do it.

If you've dropped the rear with short shocks or struts and tire combo
                  a rake job is the safest way to go. And makes for a much more ridable unit.

I can share more later (pics or info) I need to get the boys off to school

Rico

Comment

rico

get a hold of me on email. I just hacked up a tx 750 frame. I am going to move the shock mounts further up the frame. I will extend the attached holes on the bottom out 1 1/2. I cut down the seat area and plan to reweld the round part back in and save about six inches there. I am going to keep all the original engine mounts. Took the center stand off and ground it down so it looks like it aint there. I plan to wire feed most of the welds. As for the forks, I am going to leave em as is. Its $250.00 for new tubes from forkbyfrank. I just cleaned em really nice with simi chrome. I have on bid from ebay a 6 1/2 inch steel fender I hope to get soon to do some modifactions to that. Right now I am strengthening up all my welds and joints. I can send you pictures too if you want to comment. After sleeping on it I got pretty excitied on this. I should be able to make the entire bike for under $500. I have the painting equipment and the rest from other parts laying around. What I need right now is advice and schooled thoughts. I ask myself, when I am done am I going to feel comfortable takeing this thing down the road at 70 plus. lol

Cyg

Comment

I ask myself, when I am done am I going to feel comfortable takeing this thing down the road at 70 plus. lol

thats the best thing to ask yourself!

As far as a fender goes, take a look at your local RV shop for a trailer fender. They have them in many widths and they are cheap and as a new item they paint up well. I got my last one for $25.

I'll email ya a couple pics of the yammachopper in progress.

Rico

Comment

Working...
                      X