Where to find after market parts for1978 GS 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to find after market parts for1978 GS 550

Can someone tell me of a site that has after market parts for a 1978 550? Thanks Steve

Re: Where to find after market parts for1978 GS 550

Originally posted by Reddragon774
    Can someone tell me of a site that has after market parts for a 1978 550? Thanks Steve
    Be more specific, what aftermarket type stuff? tires? Go fast engine stuff? Fairings? racks? Coils? help us to help you.

Comment

Re: Where to find after market parts for1978 GS 550

Originally posted by Jackrp
      Originally posted by Reddragon774
      Be more specific, what aftermarket type stuff? tires? Go fast engine stuff? Fairings? racks? Coils? help us to help you.
      Exhaust, Light bar, is what I'm looking for right now Thanks

Comment

Dennis Kirk .com should have those items.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

www.bikebandit.com has some, check ebay as well.

Comment

oops, and forgot probably the best, CRC2: www.usedmotorcycleparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
              oops, and forgot probably the best, CRC2: www.usedmotorcycleparts.com
              Thanks for that info. I'm new here and still tring to figure out my way around. Where can I find info on how to get the carbs off so I can clean them? I also need info on carb cleaning/rebuilding. Thanks Steve

Comment

buy yourself a cleymer/haynes manuel right now before you do anything else. they are a basic repair bible and they should make a book for your bike 77-82 gs 550

carb clean up is here

-ryan
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
                  buy yourself a cleymer/haynes manuel right now before you do anything else. they are a basic repair bible and they should make a book for your bike 77-82 gs 550

carb clean up is here

-ryan
                  OK I got one on order. I saw that one I assume the 550 carb is the same as the 850.

Comment

your carbs are a little diffrent then what is pictured in the clean series but the idea is basiclly the same. just follw the directions and use a impact screw drive bit to remove as many screws as possable so you don't strip things.

-ryan
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x

Comment

your carbs are a little diffrent then what is pictured in the clean series but the idea is basiclly the same. just follw the directions and use a impact screw drive bit to remove as many screws as possable so you don't strip things.

-ryan
                      Wiil do as soon as I get a book and fiqure out how to get the carbs out. I have a 1500 Intruder also thoses carbs are just sitting on the boots. And the carbs on my 750 Honda cane off easy. The one's on the 550 are as you know sandwiched between the motor and the air box. I haven't figured out how to get the air box out. Thanks again Ryan. Steve

Comment

just start playing with it, you will need to losen the air box and move it as far back as posssble, the you can loosen the clamps for the carbs and slide the carb back and they should pop of, you may need to use a little silicone spray and a hair dryer/heat gun to soften the boots to help the carbs come off. it's not that easy but if you take it slow and carfull you will figure the way to get the carbs out. don't be scared to start taking things off as long as you have a good memorey. you need to get the air box loose first then some how get the carbs to slide back so you can then slide them out the side. it may help to disconnect the cable too.

give it a shot see what happens, the book won't be to much help it telling you how to get them off you just need to figure that part out.

oh yeah let me restate this USE A IMPACT SCREW DRIVER AS MUCH AS POSSABLE, you can use them as screw drivers too or fit the bit in a socket and then use it that way too. these screws love to strip.

-ryan
                        82 Kat 1000 Project
                        05 CRF450x

Comment

just start playing with it, you will need to losen the air box and move it as far back as posssble, the you can loosen the clamps for the carbs and slide the carb back and they should pop of, you may need to use a little silicone spray and a hair dryer/heat gun to soften the boots to help the carbs come off. it's not that easy but if you take it slow and carfull you will figure the way to get the carbs out. don't be scared to start taking things off as long as you have a good memorey. you need to get the air box loose first then some how get the carbs to slide back so you can then slide them out the side. it may help to disconnect the cable too.

give it a shot see what happens, the book won't be to much help it telling you how to get them off you just need to figure that part out.

oh yeah let me restate this USE A IMPACT SCREW DRIVER AS MUCH AS POSSABLE, you can use them as screw drivers too or fit the bit in a socket and then use it that way too. these screws love to strip.

ryan
                          OK I have one of thoses I used it when I rejeted my 1500 The bolts are *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ty at best and whey to tight I wonder why they tighten them down so tight? I guess tighter is better...LOL... well at least somethings. Thanks for all your help I'll tackle that in a day or so.

Steve

Comment

Hey, if you're going to buy a new exhaust (I assume a header), get yourself some individual pod filters. No more airbox hassles. Of course you'll probably need to rejet with something like a Dynojet Stage III kit, but the bike will run great and sound great when you're done.

Comment

Working...
                            X