X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing the cams

Can anyone help with the cam timing on my 83 GS400
    the timing chain has jumped a few teeth and i need to reset them
    (My Fault not thinking i had the chain tentioner out to remove the starter motor)
    I have ordered a manual but if some one could help me out know that would be great

Ive spent quite a few hours searching the forum for the information but could not find what i have been looking for

I know that i have to line no:1 on the exaust cam with the lip of the cylinder head. Then count from the pin directly obove mark no:2 back 18 or 19 links but which cylinder do i time this of and what marks represent TDC of the relevent piston?
    Any help would be much appreciated

I dont have a manual yet I Have ordered one but i am in australia and the manual is coming from the usa so it could take a while

I know the risks of timing the engine wrong that is why i have come here to ask for some technical information but maybe i,m in the wrong place.

Try searching the forum for a few things related to cam chain timing, adjustment, etc, I believe I may have outlined it in the past.

More new people here need to use the search!

Anyway, If you look at the cams there will be a #1 the exhaust side...and I can't rember the # on the intake side, It could be a #1 too?

Rotate the #1 mark to line up with the lip of the cylinder head with the valve cover off.

On my GS it was either 13 or 19 links you count on the chain going back towards the exhaust cam, counting the first and last. When you know the number of links, from someone with a GS 450 Service Manual, you place the #1 (or whatever it is) on the last link you count.

Put your cam chain tensioner back in, and make sure it's working.

~Adam

Comment

8O Not to sound like a smart a@@@@ on this one but get the sevice manual and use it , if you install the cam wrong you stand a good chance of having some bent internal engine parts this is not a good area to take a chance !!

Comment

No no Graham, not exactly "a good chance". LOL If you set the valve timing wrong, youre going to have a VERY BAD Day. heh heh Some things you can fudge a bit on. Valve timing is not one of them.

Earl

Originally posted by graham harron
        8O Not to sound like a smart a@@@@ on this one but get the sevice manual and use it , if you install the cam wrong you stand a good chance of having some bent internal engine parts this is not a good area to take a chance !!
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
        X