Yeah. let's talk messin up carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. let's talk messin up carbs

I got ambitious, took off the bottom of my bowls cleaned them up a little bit, however: in the process I bent one of the tiny tubes, it appeared to have a tear. I straightened it out and need to know how to repair/replace this item.
    I believe this tube is only used for the choke, and was thinking that I could paint the torn part with a sealant and maybe be ok, (probably wishful thinking) but I am trying to be more optomistic.
    I did split the cases and replaced 4th gear and have everything reassembled except for the carbs, final drive, and gas tank.
    That is the best explanation of the tube I can give, can this be replaced? Where can I buy a new part? Am I dead?

THANX
    DOGHOUSE

solder

If you can't replace it how about soldering the split shut, it worked on a lawnmower I did the same thing to....Mike

Comment

It should seal, If you are carefull they can be replaced if you have a spare carb. They are a light press fit. I did that on my slide carbs :?
      Turned them over to clean & bent the tube & it broke when i tried to straighten it which carbs do you have?

Comment

I have MIKUNI carbs, and upon a real close inspection, with a magnifying glass I noticed that they tore right along a port, the tear didn't look too bad and I figured since they tore right a port I would just let them go and see what happens. I don't have any spare anything around here but I think I know where I might find one. Looks like I can replace it on site if need be.

Thanx
        DOGHOUSE

Comment

VM or BS which type ?? they are a different length I have one that is usable if you need it I found the old one would break when you take it out You need to carefully drill it out & tap the new one in. In order to remove the replacement from the donar carb I used a small pair of wire cutters to grab the tube & pry against the carb body to pop it out. The best way to remove the tube if you can is to use a jig saw & cut the carb body or drill a hole in the carb body next to the tube so you can just pull it out by hand

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            VM or BS which type ?? they are a different length I have one that is usable if you need it I found the old one would break when you take it out You need to carefully drill it out & tap the new one in. In order to remove the replacement from the donar carb I used a small pair of wire cutters to grab the tube & pry against the carb body to pop it out. The best way to remove the tube if you can is to use a jig saw & cut the carb body or drill a hole in the carb body next to the tube so you can just pull it out by hand
            Geez... sounds like you might as well use the donor carb and put it on... :twisted:

Comment

Yea it's not worth doing unless you have a junk carb

Comment

Sealing broken carb tube

I used to run a lawn mower shop & used clear fingernail polish to seal welch plugs in small engine carbs. Try that to seal the tube if don't want to try to remove it. Fingernail polish is gas resistent & won't dissolve except in an ether based remover or similiar. It's worth a shot.
                ..T.J...

Comment

I got the bike running, doesn't seem like the tube is causing any problems but thanks for the help. I did not know that fingernail polish was gas resistant.

DOGHOUSE

Comment

Working...
                  X