Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: powersteering fluid, is it hygroscopic like brake fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: powersteering fluid, is it hygroscopic like brake fluid?

sorry, I know none of us have power steering on our bikes (?) but I was thinking (usually the source of most of my problems! :roll: ) this morning while I topped off the pwrstring fluid in my car with the opened bottle I've used for over a year, what if this stuff gets bad with age??!?!?!!

I've got a subaru outback sport (read barely suped up impreza) and some times it has a wobble in the steering wheel. it's different from wheels out of balance or alignment I think, and it happens mostly at low speeds, and when the engine is cold... I know there's a small slow leak in the power steering assist box, but it is really really slow. any ideas on what this is before it decides to stop correcting for itself and steer me right off the d@mn road?? 8O

thanks!!

good question, but i really dont know.

Comment

answer

No its not, keep it caped so no dirt gets in it and it will last along time, so how many miles on her? have you checked for loose tie rod ends? inner arm balls on the tie rods, tread delaminating, have you rotated the tires to see if that helps? on and on???

Comment

just about to come up on 100K! I plan to actually take it in and get the timing belt changed, likely the steering box fixed, and whatever else they come back and tell me it needs. :roll:

there are a decent number of miles on the tires, but I can't remember how many offhand. it could be due for a balance. otherwise I haven't really tried to fix it, it seems really pretty minor so far... and what with the freezing cold vs florida warm days alternating here I somehow find myself out for a ride whenever it's warm enough to work on it...

Comment

I don't know for sure but the PS fluid gets hot enough to burn off any water it may absorbe

Comment

Power steering fluid, ATF and hydraulic jack oil are pretty much interchangeable, if not the same.

I've got PS units, auto boxes and jacks that have had the same oil in them for 15 years with no problems.

Look and see if there is any uneven tread wear on either or both of your front tires. That'll give a clue if it is something loose in the steering gear.

Pete

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the PS fluid, as stated, it's mostly just light oil....our subaru ('92 SVX) has a wobble also, only does it on right turns, at higher speeds....I checked the tie rod ends, lower ball joints...all OK, the CV joint boots were shot, but the joints are OK...nothing loose. Turned the steering wheel to the right and rechecked the tie rods, turns out there's a loose/worn spot on the rack itself (rack and pinion steering) which needs replaced.

Comment

Low speed steering wobble can sometimes be traced to the most simple item....loose wheel nuts.

Rarely, it can be a cracked wheel rim. To check that, you need someone to stand beside the vehicle while you roll it forward and back. Turning the steering a bit will make sure any such problem is evident. If it is OK they will notice nothing, but if it there is a break in the wheel/rim, there will be an audible crack or click sound.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

8O good lord, Ron!! I sure hope that's not it!!! I'll definitely go look at that post-haste!

thanks for the help everyone!!

Comment

Working...
                  X