carb plugs anyone know much about them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb plugs anyone know much about them

okay my question is why is there a rubber plug covering a jet and can u leave the plug out

Re: carb plugs anyone know much about them

Originally posted by shineoneforme
    okay my question is why is there a rubber plug covering a jet and can u leave the plug out
    Why not try it and let us know how it pans out

Comment

The jet in question, I believe, is the pilot jet circuit. This jet is solely for the purpose of idle and low rpm operation. If you pull that plug you will more then likely run way rich and foul plugs. Only a small amount of fuel is needed for idle and 'pulling the plug' will add way too much. But as Wrench said, try it and let us know the results, I am interested also.

Scud

Comment

My understanding is that the plug needs to be in place.

Comment

My question is this: If the engineers designed the carbs so as to need those plugs and included them, why would you think you can leave it out? NO, if there was no reason for them to be there, then they would not be there.

Earl

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The answer is "Yes" you can leave the rubber plugs out, done it myself, BUT! the down side is, your bike will run like S#@! so if it were my choice I'd put them in.or if you do leave them out carry a lot of spare spark plugs so you get home again.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
              My question is this: If the engineers designed the carbs so as to need those plugs and included them, why would you think you can leave it out? NO, if there was no reason for them to be there, then they would not be there.

Earl

But Earl i thought engineers designed things so that you could fix them

Comment

Well John, y'know how it goes around here. LOL My aircleaner is too hard to put back in, can I leave it off? My carb jets are difficult to screw in, do I have to put them in? I dont see why there are rubber plugs, do I need them? My tires keep losing air, can I leave the wheels off.

Uhhh, problem, my bike doesnt run and it doesnt roll any more. HELP!

:-) :-) :-)
                Earl

Originally posted by wrench
                But Earl i thought engineers designed things so that you could fix them

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Do the VM carbs on a 78 750 have those plugs? I'm about to dive into my first carb rebuild this weekend and I thought I had all the parts I needed. I've read several threads that mention those plugs, but I'm not sure if my carbs have them. I don't see anything like that in the schematics.

Comment

carbs

VM's don't have them, they have other fun things to contend with so don't feel left out, and them there screws that you can turn in on the top side and bottom of you take them out count the number of turns in first then take them out do not screw them down tight, only very lightly

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                      Well John, y'know how it goes around here. LOL My aircleaner is too hard to put back in, can I leave it off? My carb jets are difficult to screw in, do I have to put them in? I dont see why there are rubber plugs, do I need them? My tires keep losing air, can I leave the wheels off.

Uhhh, problem, my bike doesnt run and it doesnt roll any more. HELP!

:-) :-) :-)
                      Earl
                      While we're on the subject Earl, The oil in my bike keeps getting dirty and there is a small leak that I assume was "engineered" into the motor because I see sooooo many posts about oil leaks.
                      My question is this: Can I just leave the oil out?

shineoneforme - Don't worry, we jest with you out of love!

Comment

No, the rubber plugs are only required on CV carbs.

Earl

Originally posted by ptm
                        Do the VM carbs on a 78 750 have those plugs? I'm about to dive into my first carb rebuild this weekend and I thought I had all the parts I needed. I've read several threads that mention those plugs, but I'm not sure if my carbs have them. I don't see anything like that in the schematics.

Comment

Dear Crespo

Your problem is that your oil is in a liquid state. Add 5 lbs of talc to 3 quarts of epoxy resin and pour it into the crankcase. No more leaks.

Abby :-)

Originally posted by jtcrespo

While we're on the subject Earl, The oil in my bike keeps getting dirty and there is a small leak that I assume was "engineered" into the motor because I see sooooo many posts about oil leaks.
                          My question is this: Can I just leave the oil out?

shineoneforme - Don't worry, we jest with you out of love!

Comment

Thanks Earl!!! I knew you would know

Comment

What are friends for? :-)

Earl

Originally posted by jtcrespo
                              Thanks Earl!!! I knew you would know

Comment

Working...
                              X