Gumout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gumout?

I just had my '81 GS450L out for a ride today and she started bogging down a little at different times in different gears. I know this is probably a carb cleaning thing. It's not bad enough where I think I need to soak it. What I'm wondering is; can I safely pour Gumout in the tank more or less to keep the carb clean and prevent any build up?

Thanks,

Paul
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

If you have not cleaned them in a while I would do the full dunk and sync, that way you will know they are clean for sure. Gumout is just a temporary fix.

There could also be a number of underlying reasons for the lack of performance, for instance, the battery, dirty air cleaner, to name a couple.

Scud

Comment

Re: Gumout?

Gumout will not harm your engine, but my opinion is it is a waste of time and money because it will not help either.

If the carbs are dirty, there really is only one answer, Take them apart and clean them. Anything less is just whistling in the wind and waiting for pie in the sky. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by snark
      I just had my '81 GS450L out for a ride today and she started bogging down a little at different times in different gears. I know this is probably a carb cleaning thing. It's not bad enough where I think I need to soak it. What I'm wondering is; can I safely pour Gumout in the tank more or less to keep the carb clean and prevent any build up?

Thanks,

Paul
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

it does mean more work , but go ahead and clean the carbs...... :roll:

Comment

If the gumout is too concentrated it can harm the rubber plugs and o-rings in the carbs. If I remember correctly, gumout for fuel injectors does not have this problem.

With only two carbs to deal with I'd at least pull them off, drop the bowls and give them a good squirting with carb cleaner.

Comment

You are right Jeff. Once again I screwed up and assumed use would be in reasonable concentration. LOL Its like water. Drinking water is not harmful to humans. Unless one drinks too much of it and then it can be fatal.

Earl :-)

Originally posted by Mr. Jiggles
            If the gumout is too concentrated it can harm the rubber plugs and o-rings in the carbs. If I remember correctly, gumout for fuel injectors does not have this problem.

With only two carbs to deal with I'd at least pull them off, drop the bowls and give them a good squirting with carb cleaner.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I figured some dilution is in order. The bottle says it treats up to 21 gallons. I think that may be a little strong for a 3 gallon tank. I think I may end up dunking them after hearing from you guys. Next question -- Where do I get the solvent and where do I get the rebuild kit? I checked Dennis Kirk and they didn't have anything usefull listed.
              1981 GS 450L

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

You will need a can of Berrymens, get the one gallon can it comes with a basket for small parts, this can be bought at most auto parts stores. Next order a set of o-rings from Robert Barr, these are the best you can find and they are well labeled and come in small plastic ziplock bags.

Scud

Comment

What about the other gaskets and seals...or does it use RTV sealant?
                  1981 GS 450L

Comment

With regards to the carbs, if you are careful you can re-use the float bowl gaskets, the only 'gasket' in the carbs, other then that you will not need any other new gaskets.

Once the four screws to the float bowls are removed gently pry them apart with a thin blade screw driver and be careful not to score the aluminum surface, gaskets should be able to be re-used if you are careful.

RTV sealant is not necessary, and not advised in the carburetor region.. :?

Scud

Comment

RTV/silicone turns into instant carb blocking sludge glue when exposed to gas. Dont even think about using it!

Earl

Originally posted by snark
                      What about the other gaskets and seals...or does it use RTV sealant?

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                        You are right Jeff. Once again I screwed up and assumed use would be in reasonable concentration. LOL Its like water. Drinking water is not harmful to humans. Unless one drinks too much of it and then it can be fatal.

Earl :-)

Actually I have first hand experience with Gumout's rubber dissolving properties.

You're right about that water - too much can kill you. That's why to be on the safe side I usually dilute it with scotch.

Comment

I hate to disagree, but if the carbs are not badly gummed up, Sea Foam can make a big difference. Don't use Gumout for the rubber dissolving issue. I have used Sea Foam on my GFs 81 GS650 and it has made a big difference. I am not usually a fan of these quick fixes, but Sea Foam does help as long as the carbs are not totally gummed up.

Comment

Where can I get Sea Foam? I'm not looking to escape working on the bike...that is half the fun, but I don't want to take it apart unnecessarily either. I've heard some people recommend Gumout, some warn against it. Unfortunately, my Suzuki dealer is no real help.
                            1981 GS 450L

Comment

I lean more towards a nice Irish Whiskey. Wonderful. :-)

Earl

You're right about that water - too much can kill you. That's why to be on the safe side I usually dilute it with scotch.

Comment

Working...
                              X