Flushing out gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flushing out gas tank

A friend of mine just bought a 79 GS750 for $150. The bike runs, but not real good. He is gonna have to have to carbs rebuilt and adjusted then it should be great. How do you know if you need to clean the inside of the tank, and is there an easy way to do that? Thanks for the help

Well, if you take off the gas-cap, in decent lighting conditions, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of the condition of the inside.

If you see rust-spots on the inside, you may want to use various methods, such as Por-15, and creaming the inside of the tank. I've not got too much experience in this, but many here do .

If the inside of the tank doesnt show any visible signs of rust, than you should be fine.

you could also add some gas treatment that eliminates water / condensation buildup in the tank. this stuff doesnt usually cost much money, and is available at most hardware stores/ auto-parts stores.

poot

Comment

gs 750

I have the same bike and had the same problems. Just look inside if it looks like rust...then its rust. I purchased "Kreem" tank refinishing kit. It did a great job but took a little time and patients. Starts with an acid soak, then nutralizer, then a liquid that puts a rubbery white coating on the inside of the tank. If you plan on keeping the old paint job it might not be a good idea. I was repainting the tank so the acid didn't matter. As for the carbs...it depends on how bad they really are. I had mine cleaned by a shop and they still ran like ^%*$&. I took them apart (carefully as not to tear the gaskets) and checked the insides. They still looked like they were varnished pretty bad. Not So!!! It wasn't the varnish coating the bowl, after removing the jets most of them were clogged so I just replaced them with new ones. Now it runs like it did years ago. It was well worth replacing the jets during the cleaning. If you have the same problems as I did you probably have gas leaking from the carbs too. The needle and seat also need replacing. Buy the way if your cleaning the tank you should look into getting a new petcock they also contributed to the gas leak. A common problem with our petcocks.

Comment

ok so if the tank has rust in it, how do you go about getting the liner in it that was talked about? is this something just just pours into the tank and then gets drained?

Thanks, Brian

Comment

The Kreem kit will come with an acid bath as mentioned before to remove the moisture and rust form the tank. Then the plastic type coating gets poured in and you have to manipulate the tank to get it all around. It shouldn't get poured out, all the coating in the kit should stay in the tank.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Where can i get this stuff?

Comment

Most motorcycle shops carry the Kreem kits.
              I am looking at doing the same to my tank, but I palnt on trying the POR-15 method.

Comment

Almost all bike shops sell Kreem, or something similar. Kreem is probably the best-known such item. Remember for ALL such items....the fumes are toxic. You need very good ventilation when working with these chemicals.

You might also consider taking your tank to a professional for cleaning and re-coating. Many radiator shops will do it, and there may be a company or two that even specializes in gas tanks in your area. We have a couple in Toronto that do.

The pros do an excellent cleaning job, seal any cracks, holes etc, and give a guarantee on their work. I got a three-year written guarantee on mine.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
                  Almost all bike shops sell Kreem, or something similar. Kreem is probably the best-known such item.

You might also consider taking your tank to a professional for cleaning and re-coating. Many radiator shops will do it, and there may be a company or two that even specializes in gas tanks in your area. We have a couple in Toronto that do.

The pros do an excellent cleaning job, seal any cracks, holes etc, and give a guarantee on their work. I got a three-year written guarantee on mine.

what did it cost you to have it done?

Comment

I think the cost was about CA$80....roughly twice the price of the Kreem kit in my local bike shop.

WhenI told the bike shop owner about it, and where I had it done, he said he would begin sending anyone else there, as one or two of his customers had poor experiences with Kreem.

I have seen instances on the forum where people said they had it done for US$50 to 60. That is still roughly double the Kreem price, as it sells for less in USA.
                    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

ok thanks for all the info guys. Im not sure the tank needs it, but if it does i know where to start. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                      X