Changing plug wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing plug wires

I changed the plugs on my 83 gs1100, and i wanted to change the wires too, but when i followed them under the tank, they go to these 2 little box type things?? What are they and do i have to replace them to change my plugs?

hey98, I can even field this one , those little boxes are your coils, and it seems they are hard wired into the coil, so i would say NO they cant be changed , unless you went for a soldered splice and i dont think that would be approved of, but hey i just got my 85 gs 700 a week ago , running on 2 cyl. for 500$ , carbs are off and being cleaned wish me luck , and thank you GS RESOURCES , this a great site

jay
    san marcos tx

Comment

Changing plug wires

It's too bad that the plug wires are hard-wired to the coils. However, you can get around that, and use your existing coils with essentially new wires. I had a break in a plug wire that I fixed in the following way. I cut the plug wire on the coil side of the break. Then, I stripped the rubber and silicone away from the conductor in the old and new plug wires; wound the two conductors together over a length of about 1 inch; soldered the conductors; covered conductors with silicone shield from new wire; covered entire splice with two successively larger rubber sheaths. This is key: the splice is likely to try to short, so the insulation at this splice is definitely better "over done." The end result doesn't look good, but it has worked great for me for many months, without having to replace my coil. Of course, if the splice(s) is tucked under the tank, you can have it appear quite nice. 8)

good luck

Comment

New Dyna or Accel coils and wires runs, $125-150 I believe. They're worth the investment over original 22 year old coils, trust me.

~Adam

Comment

ok thanks guys. this is my first bike so i wasnt real sure what to do. My dad got himself a Hayabusa and gave it to me. It runs great, but my friend just got a 79 gs850 and he may have to change his wires, not sure yet though. thanks for the help!

Comment

Also the coils from newer Katanas, Bandits, and some GSX-R's have replacable plug wires. The coils on these bikes have an OEM snap connector that can be undone, and new 7mm wires screwed into the coils and the connector snapped back on.

These can be had on eBay for 20-30 bucks.

Not a great picture, but these are the style to look for...

Good Luck!
            Tim

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
              Also the coils from newer Katanas, Bandits, and some GSX-R's have replacable plug wires. The coils on these bikes have an OEM snap connector that can be undone, and new 7mm wires screwed into the coils and the connector snapped back on.

These can be had on eBay for 20-30 bucks.

Not a great picture, but these are the style to look for...

Good Luck!
              Tim
              i wouldnt be able to use those right?

Comment

Strange...I have never seen one that couldn't be removed...some just screw in, thus you "unscrew" the wire from the coil. I met a Honda one once, it almost seemed soldered in place, but a hard tug and it was out of there. It left 1 strand attached to the lug, but a little cleanup and it could be reused.

I am not saying it can be done (making it one piece), but if you can explain how they put it together without ruining the wires and making it one peice, I would like to know.

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by KennyJ
                  Strange...I have never seen one that couldn't be removed...some just screw in, thus you "unscrew" the wire from the coil. I met a Honda one once, it almost seemed soldered in place, but a hard tug and it was out of there. It left 1 strand attached to the lug, but a little cleanup and it could be reused.

I am not saying it can be done (making it one piece), but if you can explain how they put it together without ruining the wires and making it one peice, I would like to know.

Kenny
                  if i can figure out how to post a pic i will so you can see. maybe you will see something i dont

Comment

Originally posted by my98xplorer

i wouldnt be able to use those right?
                    Yes you can. They will bolt right up to your old mounts, and you can change the wires on them. I've done this to an 81 GS550E. You might have to crimp on new connectors for +12 volts and signal, but that's it.

Comment

Re: Changing plug wires

I changed the plugs on my 83 gs1100, and i wanted to change the wires too, but when i followed them under the tank, they go to these 2 little box type things?? What are they and do i have to replace them to change my plugs?
                      The plug wires on a GS can be replaced, they are just epoxied into the coil, if you look closely where the wire goes into the coil you'll see a bead of epoxy, chip that out, its only on top , the wire is not glued in place, then gently pull and twist, if the wire comes out without breaking(old wire)you'll see a brass post in the coil, insert a new wire, epoxy around the wire, install new spark plug cap, I'm saying it can be done, BUT Dyna coils and new wires an caps will let you cruise the nation in peace, knowing at least you'll have a solid spark when you need it,But GS spark plug wires can be replaced without soldering or such I've done it, learned this in Suzuki factory school

Comment

Re: Changing plug wires

Originally posted by Jackrp
                        The plug wires on a GS can be replaced, they are just epoxied into the coil, if you look closely where the wire goes into the coil you'll see a bead of epoxy, chip that out, its only on top , the wire is not glued in place, then gently pull and twist, if the wire comes out without breaking(old wire)you'll see a brass post in the coil, insert a new wire, epoxy around the wire, install new spark plug cap, I'm saying it can be done, BUT Dyna coils and new wires an caps will let you cruise the nation in peace, knowing at least you'll have a solid spark when you need it,But GS spark plug wires can be replaced without soldering or such I've done it, learned this in Suzuki factory school
                        hmmmm, i will have to look closer to it and give it a try

Comment

model years of coil swap

What model years from the later suzuki can you swap with to use on the gs1100? Is it all later bandits and katanas?

Comment

Working...
                          X