Wiring in a Side Stand cut out switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been saying to myself for quite some time that I need to wire in a side stand switch on the GS850 as I am repeatedly driving off with it down. Well today I finally got caught out and had a low speed spill, luckily enough just minor damage to an already battered fairing and some bent pride. Isn't it funny how you never take your helmet off when you're embaressed.

Anyhoo, I'm going to wire in the switch but as there isn't provosion for one in the original wiring I'm wondering whether anyone else has done one from scratch. I was thinking of utilising a rear brake pull switch attached to the clutch lever arm in parallel with a switch on the side stand and putting these in series with the kill switch circuit. The side stand switching being closed when the stand is up and the clutch switch closed when the clutch is operated.

If my thinking is right this should provide a scenario where if the side stand is down then the engine won't run unless the clutch is pulled in!

It wouldn't allow me to idle the engine in neutral on the side stand but I reckon at a later date I could wire a relay into the neutral light circuit to allow for that.

Wotcha think?

I think most use a gear indicator? When you put it in gear it will kill the engine unless the sidestand is up

Comment

I too would be interested in such a cut as I have too drove away with the side stand down. Luckyly so far haven't put it down but have been close.

I do too believe most are wired off the gear indicator. I am going see what I can come up with too on this.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        I think most use a gear indicator? When you put it in gear it will kill the engine unless the sidestand is up
        Using the relay connected to the neutral light would do pretty much the same, I think.

at the minute I just want something that's going to stop me making another arse of myself , I'll nail the more sophisticated stuff later.

I've got the neccesary kit coming tomorrow, I'll post the results later!

Comment

Why dont you just use a normally off switch on the sidestand, so the switch is only in the on position when the stand is up and pressing the switch button down. Run that switch inline with the small energiser lead on your starter solenoid. This way, the starter will only activate/engage f the sidestand is in the up position.

This would still allow you to start the engine and work on the bike with it on the centerstand.

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            Why dont you just use a normally off switch on the sidestand, so the switch is only in the on position when the stand is up and pressing the switch button down. Run that switch inline with the small energiser lead on your starter solenoid. This way, the starter will only activate/engage f the sidestand is in the up position.

This would still allow you to start the engine and work on the bike with it on the centerstand.

Earl
            That would only work when I was starting the engine, if I had the engine running and put the bike on the sidestand without stopping the engine then it wouldn't stop me riding off with the stand down.

Comment

Hmmm, I've never had the habit of putting the sidestand down and leaving the engine running. Putting the sidestand down presumes I will be getting off the bike. I never get off the bike and leave it running. Different strokes for different folks I guess. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Big N Daft
              Earl
              That would only work when I was starting the engine, if I had the engine running and put the bike on the sidestand without stopping the engine then it wouldn't stop me riding off with the stand down.[/quote]

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I did precisely that one day, on the road for the start of a long journey and as I was riding down the motorway I started to feel a bit uncomfortable as my trousers had ridden up where the sun don't shine, if you get my drift. I pulled onto the hardshoulder dropped the side stand, got off and adjusted my clothing jumped back on and set of up the shoulder gaining speed to rejoin the traffic when I heard a real loud grinding noise, I'd left the stand down. I had to readjust my trousers one more time after that I can tell you!

Comment

I usually just stand up and ride with no hands for that problem. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Big N Daft
                  I did precisely that one day, on the road for the start of a long journey and as I was riding down the motorway I started to feel a bit uncomfortable as my trousers had ridden up where the sun don't shine, if you get my drift. I pulled onto the hardshoulder dropped the side stand, got off and adjusted my clothing jumped back on and set of up the shoulder gaining speed to rejoin the traffic when I heard a real loud grinding noise, I'd left the stand down. I had to readjust my trousers one more time after that I can tell you!

Comment

stand

there is a set up for a side stand cut out on ebay in the suzuki parts section

Comment

Thanks for that Gee-s-is.

Unfortunately I'm in the UK so shipping would make it too dear. However I did manage to pick up the neccesary (albeit Kawasaki) parts at the weekend and they were reasonably priced so I've fabbed up a bracket and I just need to do the wiring!

Comment

I suppose that you could just remove your sidestand. ...works for me.

Sounds like a good project! Good luck!

Comment

Re: Wiring in a Side Stand cut out switch

Originally posted by timetoride
                          I suppose that you could just remove your sidestand.
                          That was the problem when I fell off

Comment

Working...
                          X