crazy carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crazy carbs

82gs1100e, Bike idles at 1000rpm when cold, after bike warms up bike idles at 2500rpm, If I put choke on rpms climb higher after warm up, Plugs are black, Bike pulls hard in 1 -3 , but not in 4, havent gotten up to fifth yet short road. Bike has drilled out airbox with a cone, brand is not known, exhaust is a 4 into 1 V and H, Is this a float and float needle and seat issue? No popping on decel. Main jets are mikuni 115, pilots are stock, Fresh spark plugs. No air leaks. Thanks

Have you cleaned the carbs? Are they synchronized? If not, these two things need to be done before you can diagnose any further. Stage I jet kit with that header will help things a bit as well (after you clean and synch).

Comment

re crazy carbs...

Sounds like it's lean. If it pulls better in 4th with the choke on it is definitely lean.

Comment

Re: crazy carbs

The first thing you must do is vacuum synch the carbs using a vacuum guage set.

"bike idles at 1K rpm cold and at 2500 rpm warmed up" ..............Mixture screws are set too lean. The mixture screws are supposed to be set after the engine is warmed up.

" Bike pulls hard in 1 -3 , but not in 4, havent gotten up to fifth yet short road." .............. At what rpm are you shifting into 4th? You may just be in too tall a gear for your speed.

Bike has drilled out airbox with a cone, brand is not known, exhaust is a 4 into 1 V and H, Is this a float and float needle and seat issue? No popping on decel. Main jets are mikuni 115, pilots are stock, Fresh spark plugs. No air leaks..................Mikuni 115 mains are the correect size for a Vand H 4 into 1 and derestricted airbox........FOR A 750. Probably about 122.5 mains would be closer to what you need.

Earl

Originally posted by tttjump
        82gs1100e, Bike idles at 1000rpm when cold, after bike warms up bike idles at 2500rpm, If I put choke on rpms climb higher after warm up, Plugs are black, Bike pulls hard in 1 -3 , but not in 4, havent gotten up to fifth yet short road. Bike has drilled out airbox with a cone, brand is not known, exhaust is a 4 into 1 V and H, Is this a float and float needle and seat issue? No popping on decel. Main jets are mikuni 115, pilots are stock, Fresh spark plugs. No air leaks. Thanks
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Re: crazy carbs

Originally posted by tttjump
          82gs1100e, Bike idles at 1000rpm when cold, after bike warms up bike idles at 2500rpm, If I put choke on rpms climb higher after warm up, No air leaks.
          Sounds like a classic case of leaking manifold o-ring(s) or the manifolds. A mist of water sprayed on the manifolds doesn't always expose the leak, if that's what you mean by no air leaks. Replace them first and then adjust your mixture screws for highest idle before synching the carbs.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
          X