GK mirrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GK mirrors

Does anyone know a good source for the fairing mirrors on a 1983 GS1100GK? Either factory of aftermarket, Which fit? Thanx in advance...

Goes ditto for me folks. I just bought an '82 that was missing the fairing mirrors. I want to get the factory look back, and it's the only thing missing.

Comment

I got rid of my stock GK mirrors long ago. Their mounting is very poorly designed and they always loosened up. Very annoying.

I have an old road test by Road Rider, (now Motorcycle Consumer News) of the GK. The tested, Clem Salvadori, criticized the mirrors' design. Same thing happened to him -- loose mirrors, very difficult to tighten up -- several times during a cross country trip.

I replaced my GK mirrors with those from my 850's. They just screwed onto the clutch and brake handlebar brackets. I'm much happier with them; plus, they're familiar.

I understand your desire to go back to stock and the stock GK look, though. This is a case of form v. function. I know a GK owner who kept the stock mirrors on, for looks, but screwed on regular GS mirrors, for function.

As to a source for those mirrors: other than checking eBay, good luck, guys. They're discontinued.

Nick

Comment

There seems to be dozens of after market mirrors in the Dennis Kirk catalogue! Many for the GS
        GY

Comment

mirrors from Dennis Kirk

I would advise against the Emgo mirrors that Dennis Kirk carries. I put a pair on my Rifle Superbike fairing. They looked good in the catalog, and the field of view on them is very nice, but they will NOT hold adjustment at highway speed; they blow back and end up looking at the tank. I called their tech support guys to see if there was an adjustment to tighten them since it didn't appear so, and they confirmed that there was no way to get them to hold adjustment, short of Loctite into the ball-and- socket. The Emgo mirrors just seem cheaply made.
          1979 GS 1000

Comment

The EMGOs are pretty cheaply made. I bought a set for my GpZ and they were horrible about holding a posistion going down the road. My fix was a teflon washer in one side of the ball joints which fixed the "slipping" problem but they vibrated in the wind like crazy and were pretty much useless. :x

Comment

Re: mirrors from Dennis Kirk

Originally posted by jknappsax
              I would advise against the Emgo mirrors that Dennis Kirk carries. I put a pair on my Rifle Superbike fairing. They looked good in the catalog, and the field of view on them is very nice, but they will NOT hold adjustment at highway speed; they blow back and end up looking at the tank. I called their tech support guys to see if there was an adjustment to tighten them since it didn't appear so, and they confirmed that there was no way to get them to hold adjustment, short of Loctite into the ball-and- socket. The Emgo mirrors just seem cheaply made.
              I had the same experience with emgo stuff--fortunately i purchased them locally anf i was given credit. I now have Honda mirrors that i purchased from JC whitney

Comment

A good fix I have done in the past is to take the loose mirror off the bike and place it lens down. The ball socket joint swivel pointing up. I then get some thin lock tight or other thread locker compound and drip it into the seam. Replace the mirror on the bike and find the position you like. Tape in place and over night it will be much stiffer, but still able to move about. I had an old Yamaha 850 triple and the mirrors were garbage. But this trick helped enough that I did not buy new ones. Sometimes you need to apply more than once until it holds enough. I bet this would also work with crazy glue. being metal to metal contact, it won't stick very well to the surfaces but will fill in the seam.
                GY

Comment

Working...
                X