Rear rotor on '80 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear rotor on '80 GS850G

When I bought my '80 GS850G from the junk yard the rear rotor was fine so were the rear pads. I replaced teh front pads and bleed the front system. I am 216 lbs. my girl rides on teh back alot she is 150 libs. and I cary full helmet case and panners allot. Somewhere allong the line I warped the rear rotor. Is this common. I got one of E-bay for $5!!! How hard are they to replace? Should I replace the pads with it evene if they have good meat on them. My friend that rides allot says I used the rear brake to much and that is why it warped. Could this be my rideing?

The pads are not expensive you can get replacenents on ebay for $10
    so change them. Check and make sure the rear brake is not draging? I would remove one of the pads, causiously step on the brake to expand the piston then remove the other one & Clean around the calaper piston with brake cleaner & a tooth brush, push the piston back in & reinstall. Flush the system with new fluid
    To remove the wheel you need to get the rear high enough I usually put a 2x6 under the centerstand, start by rolling the rear tire onto a piece of 2x6 then put a piece of 2x6 under the centerstand, lift it up on the centerstand. NOTE PUT A PIN IN THE CENTERSTAND BRACKET Their is a hole that you can put a screwdriver & alen ket or what ever to keep the centerstand from releasing. Remove the (left On mine) bolts on muffler brackets. The book says to remove the muffler but you should be able to pry it down enough to slide/pry the axel out, just cover with rags to avoid scratches.
    The wheel will now pull away from the differential Just reverse to reinstall, make sure & grease the wheel splines that fit into the differential

Comment

When I use the rear brake I am usually going less than 35 mph
      probably 80%+ of your braking is done with the front brake

Comment

Thanks, tourque on rear rotor bolts?

Guys is there a special way to torque the rotor to the braket it founts on. A special patern to tighten, what amount of ft.lbs?

Comment

I'll check the torque specs and post them. Always use a cross pattern when torquing to keep the pressure even.
          When you are working on te rear brake, make sure you clean up the pins on which the pads slide. I chuck mine into a drill and go over them with very fine sandpaper and oil. Then I wipe in a touch of anti-seize compound to keep the pads moving.

Comment

Yep do the same with my cars

Ya, anti-seize works good on car calipers also!

Comment

Working...
            X