stuck rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stuck rings?

I am looking for advice on the following compression readings from an 85 GS1150. The bike has sat for 7+ years and I'm in the process of getting it back on the road.
    First test results 1=100, 2=105, 3=145, 4=85
    With some oil poured in 1=150, 2=135, 3=160, 4=135
    I hope I have stuck rings and not another problem. Especially on #4

Any advice on freeing the rings up or feedback on the readings would be a great help.

Try poring some automatic trasmission fluid in the sparkplug holes (just an ounce or two per cylinder) and letting set for a couple days. Then put the bike in high gear and bump the rear tire back and forth. Make sure you get the trans fluid out before you crank the engine over. I'm sure that stuff isn't very good for the wet clutch.

I used this method on an old tractor that sat for several years and it worked very well.

Leave the plugs out while you do this.

Comment

Was this cold or hot readings?

Comment

THe fluid may launch from the cylinders when you bump it. Watch your eyes and place rags over the spark plug holes to keep the mess down.
        I used kerosene in an old engine to do the same thing. My neighbor put Marvel Mystery Oil in his 56 plymouth and turned it over once a week for a month and he got the rings freed up.

Just be glad you got higher readings with the oil in the cylinders.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Agreement on the auto tranny fluid. I've seen that take a cylinder from burning oil like a furnace to running perfectly overnight. That was a stuck oil control ring scenario, but that could very well be your problem too.

Comment

Working...
          X