carb dipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb dipping

advice needed please....i am about to begin dipping the carbs in the gallon of carb cleaner.....the throttle shaft has on it a plastic bushing and was wondering if it is ok to dip without disassembling the shaft components? looks like i would need to drive out a pin for this process.

I'd remove everything that isn't metal...some carb cleaners will digest anything

Comment

DON"T worry about the plastic bushing it will be fine

Comment

Carb dipping

On my 79 GS 1000 L, I just did mine & only left them in for 3-4 hours, not over night. I used NAPA ( like Berrymans) watersoluable & it worked great. Rinsed w/water & followed w/some spray carb cleaner(ether based) & compressed air(to make sure the water was either all out & dried up). Worked wondermus. Now to get that contankerous :roll: bloated airbox & carb rack back on, Great !!!!! 8O
        ..T.J....

Comment

Now to get that contankerous bloated airbox & carb rack back on, Great !!!!!
          One word. Pods!
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Alternative to dipping

I just cleaned a set of carbs for a friend's Virago. These things had some serious varnish all over them and were pretty stuck. I boiled them - that's right, just took off the bowls, took out the diaphragms/sliders and put them in a stock pot. Two gallons of water, a small box of baking soda, and about half to 1 cup of vinegar. I covered the pot and let them boil over medium heat for about an hour. Pulled them out and they looked practically new.

The brass tends to pick up a little copper tone (from a couple of copper washers that I didn't notice because of the crud) and the carbs got a little gray, but with a little patient tooth brush scrubbing, they looked like I pulled them out of "The Dip"

This doesn't hurt plasti or rubber O-rings, so it's a nice alternative to the chemical dips.

Comment

That'll be a cold day in Hell! :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro
              One word. Pods!
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
              X