Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't be afraid to use engine braking also

Comment

People must e reading a different article to me, as I don't think it says thrash the motor. What you need to do is approximtae proper heat cycling of the motor so that you don't overheat the bits wearing in, or under work the piston rings wearing in.

A recent article in a motorcycle mag here reports on the journasist (Kevin Ash) talking to castrol at their UK oil reserch centre. Basically don't take it too easy, but don't thrash too early. For a large bike normal riding seems the best way to go, but I am afraid you will have to give it large throttle openings and speed runds towards the 1,000km mark to finish the running in properly

Oil consumption and power may be adversely affected by either extreme. But then the bike will probably last way longer than you are going to keep it anyway....

I would think changing the oil a few times in the first thousand or so would be more important. And even castrol said don't use synthetic for the first 8,000kms.

Comment

Skip,

I've never done the Moto Man break-in but it is very popular with the FJR guys. Check out FJR Owners and search for "break in"

Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I think the break-in for the engine should also include a 50 hp shot of nitrious. That would set the rings perfectly. :twisted:

Comment

I don't know too much about breaking in motors but I was watching American Chopper the other day and they put the bike on the Dyno before breaking in the motor and tore the motor to pieces in a matter of minutes.

Comment

Stationary pump engines (assuming the chopper was a HD) should be run in as such!

Comment

Working...
              X