Rectifier/regulator Confusion??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rectifier/regulator Confusion??

I have been told two things 1: the 77' gs has a two piece RR 2: It does not have a two piece RR. Can anyone clear this up for me as I have a RR which is supposidly off a 77 and it looks like any other RR, the gentlemen I got it from states there is no two pieces.
    Unfortunately I can't post the image but it has horizantal fins when mounted with 5 wires coming out the top from it, ground (black) , power (red), yellow and two other wires (can't make out the actual colors white/ ?). I believe it maybe an RR already changed over can't be certain, it looks very much like the one I pulled off my bike . I can e-mail the image should anyone want to see it.

Thanks for all your help guys.[/url]

I'm not 100% on the pre-80's models, but all the GS's I've seen use a single unit as both regulator and rectifier.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

My '79 GS1000 had seperate reg and rec. So does the '78 1000. The reg and rec from a '77 (750?) would be the same seperate parts. When mounted, the reg has horizontal cooling fins, the rec has vertical fins.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Keith is correct. 77, 78, and 79 GS 750's had a separate regulator and rectifier.

Earl

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
        My '79 GS1000 had seperate reg and rec. So does the '78 1000. The reg and rec from a '77 (750?) would be the same seperate parts. When mounted, the reg has horizontal cooling fins, the rec has vertical fins.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

This is the situation on my '79 1000S, I hope it helps.

Comment

Robin, your rectifier is mounted "sideways" compared to how my rec was before my Electrex swap. Mine was mounted with the cooling fins vertical. I always thought that didn't make sense for cooling purposes.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

On my 79 750, the rectifier was mounted on the side plate under the left side cover. The regulator was mounted on the bottom of the battery box behid the side plate and not visable when standing to the side looking at the rectifier.

Earl

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't post the image but it has horizantal fins when mounted with 5 wires coming out the top from it, ground (black) , power (red), yellow and two other wires (can't make out the actual colors white/ ?). I believe it maybe an RR already changed over can't be certain, it looks very much like the one I pulled off my bike . I can e-mail the image should anyone want to see it.

Comment

With a bike that age, there is a good probability a past owner has changed it to a single component system.

Earl

Originally posted by ddnova

Comment

I have a 79 gs 1000 and I recently replaced my rectifier, The two pieces (one a rectifier) (the other is a voltage regulator) can be replaced with a combined unit rectifier/voltage regulator. I have done this with used parts and don't know what year my replacement came from but it works quite well and mounts using the original holes that held the rectifier.

Hope this helps, would like to return the favors I have been getting here.

DOGHOUSE

Comment

Originally posted by ddnova

Sounds like it's the regulator or a RR unit. If you can't find a finned rectifier anywhere else, it must be a RR unit.

Comment

For the experts, (which I'm definitely not!)
                        This is the topic starters rectifier and/or regulator thing.

Comment

the voltage reg is mounted under the battery box.

Comment

Working...
                          X