timing checking and adjusting,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing checking and adjusting,

Has anyone found the timing to be off on the GS1100 E, Is the timing adjustable on all US models or just the european models? Has anyone advanced the timing for better performance? Thanks

Re: timing checking and adjusting,

I found the timing to be 2 degrees too much advance at the full advance setting on my 1150E which resulted in a piston rattle under some conditions.
    I have changed the ignition to a Dyna 2000 and changed the advance curves, limits and range.

Advancing the timing beyond stock settings may improve the top end performance slightly. assuming the increase is not enough to cause pre detonation. In that instance, blowing holes in your pistons will not improve performance at all. :-) I can see benefits to dragracing in advancing the timing, but for that purpose, one would use an ignition system that provides that function. A stock ignition system pickup plate can be rotated to increase (or retard) timing advance. However, rotating the plate sshifts the whole range, not just the endpoint advance. Lets say your ignition system is factory set to provide 10 degrees of advance at 1200 idle rpm as start point. The system provides 32 deg of total advance at 3800 rpm.
    That means that between 1200 and 3800, it will output another 22 degres for a total of 32 deg. Now, if you rotate your breaker plate to give 36 degrees of advance, the system is still only able to provide a 32 degree range. So, your start point or idle advance will now be 14 degrees.
    The result will be the bike is going to idle poorly and rough, and as it goes into the advance curve, there is a good chance of pre ignition and piston rattle because of it. Very destructive. I do not feel it is a good idea to increase the endpoint max advance unless one is using an ignition system that allows endpoint and span adjustment for idle and high rpm.
    Performance gains for a stock GS would be negligible anyhow.

Earl

Originally posted by tttjump
    Has anyone found the timing to be off on the GS1100 E, Is the timing adjustable on all US models or just the european models? Has anyone advanced the timing for better performance? Thanks
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

timing advance

I know my bike does not idle well. I am going to do a carb sync next weekend. I purchase the bike about a month ago. I am looking into things to correct. I will be doing a jet kit next weekend also. The bike came with 4 into 1 V and H pipes and the air box has holes in it, with a cone filter, what brand the filter is I do not know. The bike is running lean which I hope to correct with the jet kit. The mains are 115. No other alterations to the carb. Thanks for the good information. I will check my timing now and report back.

Comment

Re: timing advance

The poor idle is probably due to the carbs being out of synch.

Earl

I know my bike does not idle well. I am going to do a carb sync next weekend. I purchase the bike about a month ago. I am looking into things to correct. I will be doing a jet kit next weekend also. The bike came with 4 into 1 V and H pipes and the air box has holes in it, with a cone filter, what brand the filter is I do not know. The bike is running lean which I hope to correct with the jet kit. The mains are 115. No other alterations to the carb. Thanks for the good information. I will check my timing now and report back.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

timing

What a difference!! The timing was advanced. Set timing to specs, bike starts easier and idles now. Will now do a carb sync this weekend. Thanks for the information.

Comment

Re: timing

Glad to help. :-)

Earl

What a difference!! The timing was advanced. Set timing to specs, bike starts easier and idles now. Will now do a carb sync this weekend. Thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...
            X