What can I do about leaky cases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I do about leaky cases?

While cleaning my engine this weekend, I may have determined that the lower cases might be seeping oil a little. I know my valve cover gasket is a little leaky, that cam chain tensioner is really leaky, and possibly the stator cover. It looks like someone used a paint on gasket material or sealer for the stator cover, so hopefully that is the problem. However, I am a little worried that it is actually the main case junction that is leaking. Once again I am asking a question I already know the answer to, but can I do anything to fix this without pulling apart the whole motor? I can't pull the motor off and yank off the lower cases without taking the head and jugs off, right?

I have all the gaskets coming for the valve cover, cam chain tensioner and stator, so hopefully these will solve the problem. The leak isn't really that bad, it only seeps a little and never drips on the floor. I park it in my basement right after a ride and it never marks it's terriotry, so I'll probably leave it, just wondering if there would be anything I could do. I want the bike to be as clean as can be.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

leak

Of course you can pull the bottom case half with out doing the top end

Comment

Well that's good news.
      Currently bikeless
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Re: leak

Originally posted by Gee-s-is
        Of course you can pull the bottom case half with out doing the top end
        I've seen people do it between heats at the track...you'll need a buddy

Comment

leave it for now

8) AS i am sure you already know the cases are sealed by a sealer and not a gasket, after looking at mine i doubt they would just start leaking (but i may be wrong) I think the wise first choice would be to seal up all your known leaks as you already stated and go from there,as we all have seen many oil leaks travel on the bike and look like they are leaking when they really are not. any way good luck in not having to split the cases because that opens up a whole new jar of worms for the possibility of having even a worse leak if you dont get everything spotless end sealed perfect.

Comment

Yeah, I'm really hoping the other gaskets are the real problem. It looks like the previous owner may have used only a sealer or form-a-gasket on the stator. That's no good. I'm also glad to hear the cases don't use an actual gasket, that may mean the engine has not been split before. I can't imagine the engine has needed the cases split in under 14k miles. The bike obviously doesn't appear to have been abused, but who knows...
            Currently bikeless

Comment

Just a suggestion, not the most professional and it's not permanent.
              If it is where the cases join or the cylinder to case, Dap 100% clear silicone will usually seal it if applied right. They also make black silicone "gasket maker" that claims to have a little higher heat rating, otherwise the same stuff.
              The surface has to be real clean first. Oil will still keep trying to ease out, but about a 1/4" bead about an 1/8" thick will seal for some time. Give it a full 36 hours to cure (in 60/70 degree weather.) How long will it last? Several months... a year? Depends.
              If the fixed area is out of sight, all the better. Just check the seal once in awhile. This can work until you decide to do a rebuild or whatever.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Sure, you can split the cases without removing the cylinders. However, if the cases are leaking, I wouldn't short cut it. I would replace the cylinder base gaskets (they are notorious for leaking when old) and all of the seals. All gaskets, all seals, nice leak free motor.

Comment

Jethro , just re-torque the case bolts for now, and see if that fixes it. If it doesnt then remove the motor flip it over and remve the lower case, clean the mating surfaces, apply a THIN film of sealer and button it back up. There is absolutely no need to disturb the cylinders.
                  Dink

Comment

Dink Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:50 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jethro , just re-torque the case bolts for now, and see if that fixes it. If it doesnt then remove the motor flip it over and remve the lower case, clean the mating surfaces, apply a THIN film of sealer and button it back up. There is absolutely no need to disturb the cylinders.
                    Nice. Hopefully the stator gasket takes care of it, but good to know.

However, if the cases are leaking, I wouldn't short cut it. I would replace the cylinder base gaskets
                    I am 99% sure the base gasket isn't the leaky culprit.
                    Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
                    X