Performance Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance Gold

I bought a K&N Performance Gold oil filter for my '81 550T. It says that they are designed for synthetic oil. How well do they work with regular oil? I haven't changed the oil since I bought the bike, but I'm going to use Castrol GTX 20w-50.

Thanks for any help.

Moonshine550t

Performance Gold

It says that but you can always use it with any oil.
    Unless there is a warning about the type of oil you should use, I would not pay attention to it.

Synthetic IS better!

I asume you recently bought the bike.

Comment

Thanks that is what I firgured, but I wanted to be sure. I bought the bike in June, but haven't riden it because I've been trying to get the charging system fixed. I've been very busy working, and haven't had the time to do anything fun. Like work on my bike. Finally got my new RR in last week.

Thanks again

Moonshine550t

Comment

Re: Performance Gold

Castrol 20w-50 will be just fine. I have used it exclusively in every car, truck, and motorcycle for a lot ot years and not had a single oil related problem. You can also use synthetic or a synthetic blend.
        However, there is an article written by a oil company chemist about oil applications and his conclusion was there is nothing to be gained by using synthetic oil in the older motorcycle engines such as ours.

Earl

Originally posted by moonshine550t
        I bought a K&N Performance Gold oil filter for my '81 550T. It says that they are designed for synthetic oil. How well do they work with regular oil? I haven't changed the oil since I bought the bike, but I'm going to use Castrol GTX 20w-50.

Thanks for any help.

Moonshine550t
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X