GS1000 Identifcation + Taillight wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Identifcation + Taillight wiring

Hi! I'm new to the forum and I have a 79? GS1000. The bike I have has had a very hard life. It has a later motor in it and mix match of parts. I can't find a model letter anywhere on it. It has a 19" mag front wheel and 18" spoked rear... Disk front and rear, 630 chain drive. Side covers + fairing are gone. I've titled it as a 79 but am unsure of the actual year, it could be a 78. The frame sticker lists the wheel sizes as correct.

I am in the process of turning it into a street fighter with a heavy flat track influance. I am confused on the taillight + signal wiring. It seems as though the grounds switch on and off and change from + to - depending if the lights are on or off. Anyone have a scematic or explanation of wiring? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: GS1000 Identifcation + Taillight wiring

hi mate,welcome to the forum. i could be wrong,but i am shure the only 1000 built with 19in front and more important 18in rear is the S model, i have one. mine has now got a 17in rear with an alum box arm off a kat. apart from better handling,the 17in rubber is easier to locate with more choice than the 18in. as for your electrical probs,the best item i have bought is a genuine service cd. mine was a copy off ebay and cost about $8. hope this helps you,good luck with the project. Dave
    Originally posted by philofab
    Hi! I'm new to the forum and I have a 79? GS1000. The bike I have has had a very hard life. It has a later motor in it and mix match of parts. I can't find a model letter anywhere on it. It has a 19" mag front wheel and 18" spoked rear... Disk front and rear, 630 chain drive. Side covers + fairing are gone. I've titled it as a 79 but am unsure of the actual year, it could be a 78. The frame sticker lists the wheel sizes as correct.

I am in the process of turning it into a street fighter with a heavy flat track influance. I am confused on the taillight + signal wiring. It seems as though the grounds switch on and off and change from + to - depending if the lights are on or off. Anyone have a scematic or explanation of wiring? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

Mutant Suzuki

I thought that maybe some put the rear wheel on it to make it a 18" but the frame sticker confirms it. the rear is an 18" spoked wheel, 36 spokes + disk. Here are some pictures:

Sorry for the bluriness... I used my phone rather than my camera.

The bike has a later GS1000 motor in it, kz 1000 carbs for now, and it will be getting better rear shocks, GSXR forks, Spoked front + rear wheels... probably 17-19 and much wider, dual front disks, flatslides, GS1100 swing and more.

Comment

Working...
      X