Test for my speedo drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test for my speedo drive

If i were to take unplug the speedo cable from the drive and stick my flathead drillbit in the groove on the cable, would my drill turn the cable fast enough to get a reading on my speedo? Im having trouble and i have a new cable and newer gauges which are supposed to work. My tach works but so far no luck on the speedo. Any suggestions?

Yes.

Actually, use a cordless on its lowest speed -- it doesn't have to turn very fast at all.

I've been able to spin the cable fast enough with my fingers to make the needle rise off the peg a bit, and at least verify that the cable and speedo are OK. You'll have to experiment to make sure you're turning it the right direction.

Is the drive unit on the front wheel turning when you turn the wheel? You can carefully use a couple of jack stands under the fork legs to temporarily get the front wheel off the ground.

It's pretty common that the speedo drive unit gets reinstalled incorrectly, which can squash the drive tabs. You might want to check this, too.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

hmmmm, i didnt think about the drill not turning the wrong way, i only tried 1 direction. i will check that out right now.

Comment

i went in the garage unplugged the cable from the gear, hooked up my drill to it again, this time in reverse, and got a reading. Go figure. I guess my speedo drive is bad then??

Comment

Wow, an 1893 GS! I thought they didn't start making these until the late 70's !

Comment

Originally posted by stasch
            Wow, an 1893 GS! I thought they didn't start making these until the late 70's !
            ahhhh crap, it took me a minute to figure out what you were trying to say, but i got it!

Comment

Working...
            X