Liquid Silver...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liquid Silver...

How much is it normal to have aluminum fragments in your oil in the filter housing? At the end of the drain cycle I noticed some small silver particles in the oil.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Re: Liquid Silver...

Thats an easy one Jethro. There should not be ANY. Any is abnormal.

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro
    How much is it normal to have aluminum fragments in your oil in the filter housing? At the end of the drain cycle I noticed some small silver particles in the oil.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Damn. Hope I don't need a new head again.
      Currently bikeless
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

silver

could be from threading in the oil fill cap could be from changing the filter its self, center bolt threads or mounting studs what ever mounting system it uses, some times trying to get things lined up or started to thread can leave these, or previous repairs such as scaping off an old valve cover gasket, and not taking precautions and on and on, doesn't mean death

Comment

Very-very light particles, like in a "swirl" once in the pan? Could be the previous mentioned things. The clutch plates can lose a little too.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Sigh... :? metal in the oil is never good. But with most of my bikes over the years, metal has come and gone.
            1. With the GS1000S, I pulled the sump plate off for a look one time, and found half a handful of what could be best described as milled aluminium. It must have been there for years (kind of glued to the bottom with a tarry film), and the bike ran without a problem.
            2. With my GPz900, 4th gear started to get a whining sound. Went to change the oil and it was all silvery with metal particles. Well I had nothing to lose, so I poured in some teflon oil additive -- which folks either love or loathe -- and the whine went away and no more metal appeared in the oil ever again.

So... don't panic yet. See what happens? :roll:

Here's hoping it's not too financially painful.

Mike.

Comment

Jethro - Is this pre- or post-oil cooler installation? Just wondering if (assuming post) they may have been carried in with the new cooler.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Comment

Pre-oil cooler. That's why I drained the oil, to install the cooler. I'm actually not so concerned, it was a tiny bit, maybe only a bottlecap full was actually tainted, and it could be from the new clutch disks and plates. Whatever, can't worry about it for now.
                Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
                X