countershaft seals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

countershaft seals?

hey all... brand new to the forum. as i own a 78 GS550, this seems like a great place to chit chat, and get important info. well, down to nutsa and bolts:
    i recently noticed an oil leak with my bike. it appears to be coming from the countershaft... at first i was worried about the chain having w orn through the casings, but i seriously doubt that is a possibility (i have some really worn chain and sprockets, so it makes a lot of noise, currently acquiring parts to refresh my drive train). the bike had been sitting for a few months when i bought it, and this is the first actual leak that i have noticed. is it likely that i need to replace my oil seal on the countershaft?? i have not had to remove the sidecovers for any reason yet, so i havent visually confirmed the leak, but i wiped off all the grunge from the underside, and ran the bike for a bit; noticed a small trickle of oil coming down from the side, which would point to the countershaft seals in my mind (as i can think of no other place it owuld be coming from). any ideas of suggestions? also, found some part numbers online, just wanted to see if anyone knows if these are accurate:
    09283-32015
    09282-32002
    both are oil seals i found in a breakdown of the GS 550 tranny, and their respective part numbers. also as a side note, does anyone know of good parts resources for the older GS models? or a cross over guide? i have the clymers manual for it somewhere, just haven't needed it yet. this bike has served me very well, and would love to give it a bit of TLC to get it ready for commuting 40+ miles a day. thanks for any and all replies and help you can lend.

Do this. Go to a Dollar store or discount drug store and buy a cheap can of athlete's foot spray. Remove the sprocket cover, degrease and wash the area well. Then cover the whole area with the spray. It is a white powdery looking substance that sticks to the metal.

Now take a ride literally around the block. Then check the area for a brown spot starting to emerge. If you see none, ride it another short distance and check again. Eventually the spot will show and you will know where the leak is coming from. Once you know that you can take steps to stop it.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

cool. so cheap athlete's foot spray... that's actually a good idea. my kargest concern is major damage, as it is my only mode of transportation... so naturally there is a level of paranoia that goes with anything even remotely wrong. i absolutely love the bike, and looking to seriously put some TLC into it and get it set for commuting...oil leaks are something i really can't have! thanks for the advice. any further input is of course appreciated.

Comment

CLean it as sugested, CHeck the push rod seal for the clutch that is more likely to be leaking
        Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Comment

but it is coming from the left side, where the countershaft is. is thee clutch pushrod sesal on the left side?

Comment

CHeck the link above, under clutch release item #2 for 78 GS550E

Comment

grabbed the countershaft seals, the *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ch push seal, and hte shifter rod seal. they werent too expensive. i figured while i am replacing seals, i might as well make it worth my effort and swap out the ones that obviously see a lot of action, as if one is leaking, they could all be leaking in the near future. the only issue is:
              do i have to split the cases to replace them?
              from the schematics i saw i would assume yes. that means yanking the motor... something i have not done yet. that makes me a bit skiddish. you guys know of any tips to ease the process?

Comment

The only one I would be conserned about at the moment would be the clutch seal & shifter seal It should only take an hour or so to replace them you do not have to remove the motor. The countershaft seal requires splitting the cases. Fix them first and then recheck for leaks
                I think you will find your problem fixed

Comment

alright, finally got the sidecover off(had to remove every bolt on it with a chisel.... you believe THAT)... cleaned it up a little (not foot spray though, dont have much money left until friday), fired it up... noticed a very small trickle coming from the protruding shaft in front of the countershaft (i take it this is the clutch pushrod, as it was easy to move by hand, and a pushrod wouldn't be hard to make move)... i am going to wait until morning to re-check, as most of the cleaner i used should be evaporated, and i get a clearer view). if i get it fixed (the leak) i'll let you guys know. thanks a million for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                  X