GS550 hop up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 hop up?

hey all. sorry about all the post i have been making, but i find it pretty damn cool that there is a site and forum for GS owners. i've been a member all of a day in total, and i have already found it most useful.
    looking to do some hop up work on my 550 in the near future. its a 78... what kind of mods can be done without decreasing reliability. i know the GSs are known for being solid machines, and i would like to keep it that way. i would like to get some more oomph from it. but i really like the size of the bike, smaller than the other GSs, and its chain drive, which i am a fan of. i might upgrade to a larger machine in the near future, but this is my main form of getting around, so i figure improve a bit on it first. any suggestions?

check your other posts

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
      check your other posts

-ryan
      Your bike is sweet! I hope my 550T ends up looking half as good! I'd be interested in knowing what mods you did. Did you have to rejet your carbs when you put the pods on?

Comment

man, i wished mine looked so nice... it has about 42,000 miles on it or so... a little ratty looking from raod dirt, grime, and the seat has some cracks in it due to cold weather riding. but it's still mine!

Comment

Mine wasn't too bad for $250. It's looking a bit nekkid now while I clean it up. It's been sitting since 97.

Comment

cleaner than mine, and i paid 600 i think, if not 6, 650. put a good 2500 miles on it since i bought it... time to replace sprockets, chain and what not. also haev to replace a couple seals, as i just discovered an oil leak yesterday... pain in the ass to get that sidecover off.... all the bolts stripped....every one had to be removed w/ a chisel. i dont think that side covers been off more than three times, and this is the first since i had it. pretty good machines. they seem to last forever, but of course, i expect to have to give a little care for the machine, it deserves it, all its asked for is gas and a bit of oil here and there.

Comment

i posted this in your cafe racer post in general gs talk it should anwser lots of your question about products out there.

-ryan
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x

Comment

yeah, i emailed that link to myself... ha ha ha some pretty cool stuff in there. i like the 650 cc idea... i'll have to look into that a bit more.

Comment

you should try riding the bike for a year and see how you like it before you do any motor mods. the bike has pleanty of motor if you know how to use it and arn't scared of rpms. i can rip it up all day with my girlfriend on the back. the only reason i bought a 1000 was so i could have a big bigger bike so i can fit some removable saddlebags and my girlfriend on it for some long trips. the 550 just doesn't have enought room for 2 and bags. but it will keep up with most bikes on the road if you are a good rider.

for some quick power boosts you could change your gears to a 14tooth counter sprocket in the front and keep your 52 tooth in the back. using your same chain.

-ryan
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x

Comment

I was thinking of putting pods on so I could get rid of my air box and put a reserve battery in that spot for when the charging system is being a butt! :twisted:

Comment

yeah, i know the little 550 can rip it up.... i just get a but paranoid letting the tach scroll upwards to 7000 rpm.... eventhough the redline is 9500. i have pulled hard into 80 mph on that thing. it can move... i was just hinking of finding ways to make it move a llittle easier.

Comment

If you want the bike to perform you can't be afraid of the revs, that's where the power is. If you want low rpm performance you need a bigger motor.

Comment

useing a reserve battery is a dumb idea just get the eletrical system fixed the first time and not waste your time with a addional battery.

-ryan
                          82 Kat 1000 Project
                          05 CRF450x

Comment

useing a reserve battery is a dumb idea just get the eletrical system fixed the first time and not waste your time with a addional battery.

-ryan
                            Yeah, just use the space for a beer cooler!

Comment

-ryan
                              My wife says I'm full of dumb ideas! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X