No announcement yet.

GS550 hop up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why mess up a bike that will not give you a noticable power gain even with some easy mods. Drop the countershaft sprocked by one tooth and you will get the oomph you want for less than $40. If you dont like the change then put the old sprocket back. PODS you are asking for it. Every one wants pods so ther bike looks cool. But if folks tell the truth, the only good running bikes with pods are bikes whose owners are vey patient, machine lovers who wont give up on carb tuning out of sheer bull headdedness. Very few were just lucky. After you get the 500 pods tuned properly the main power diference will be noisy intake.

Comment

You can't displace displacement. If your 550 is not fast enough buy a bigger one. You could modify it all day and my 650G would probably still be faster. At 27 years that bike is pretty old and tying to modify it will be more of a headache; rusty screws and worn parts get in the way of your performance goals. Try and pickup a early 80s 850 or a 1100 here for around 1500 - 2000 dollars and you'll be one step ahead . I would ride the 550 for a while and get experienced on it, if this is your first bike, before moving up to 100+ HP.

You will not get the money out of mods should you sell the bike , in fact it may turn buyers off to see the airbox off and a strange exhaust. People think lean running and burnt valves. I personally don't like to see aftermarket parts on a GS since I have no way of knowing if it was done right or not (and yes I know it is possible to tune them properly having done it myself).
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

The previous post was the best advice you could get.

That selling turn off is an excellent point. i never thought of it but ill say that when you bought the bile you were not looking for a street eater but a nice safe tame bike to get riding with. The I need more power syndrome is common with all size bikes after folks get used to them.

Does anyone know where i can buy a big bore kit for my 200cc honda. Il get it to 72 mph yet

Comment

I just want mine to look clean, start when I want it to and since I'm a novice, 35 mph feels pretty fast right now

Comment

yeah... that is some solid advice.. i really like the 550... it makes enough power to get around all i need.... in all honesty. i'm just one of those guys that loves to tinker with things and improve them if i can. i want to eventually makea cafe out of it (not a common bike to do a cafe chop on however) omar's has some stuff that should fit, and that side mount taillight is a pretty neat little item. i need to replace my seat in the near future anyhow. it has a buch of cracks from cold weather riding (talking frost and *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$). i don't plan on selling it any time soon, as i am most attached to it. it is my first bike, and i am very comfortable with it... just wanting to give it some attention, and some upgrades. not all will be necessary i am sure.

Comment

Working...
            X