Regulator Rectifer Cooling Issues??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator Rectifer Cooling Issues??

OK, I finally got the R/R of the 650G in the mail from my parents today and the bolt holes line up fine. It just BARELY fits there, but it is rotated 90* from the factory 450L style, what I mean is the fins whe mounted on my bike run verticle instead of hotizontal like the stock 450 one did or the 650 one did when on it's original bike. This will create cooling issues no?? If I put a small PC fan on it think that would cool it enough???

(BTW, this is a temporary fix till I get the cash to upgrade the ignition system with new stator and OEM R/R.

Thanks in advance

Should not be a problem. A PC cooling fan is one option if you are worried, someone tried that on a VFR750 with good effect (they have a known overheating problem). make sure you put a direct ground wire from the RR to the battery, as this will help. If you are going to replace it later, don't worry too much. My standard RR has been going for 26 years/160,00kms without any extra cooling!

Comment

I was toying with the idea of installing a PC fan on my new R/R as well...because it sits behind my airbox now.

I need to find a switchable 12V, and I'll hook it up.

~Adam

Comment

You could also modify a PC liquid cooler system. It runs on the same power as a fan but would be a lot more effective. I haven't tried it, but if a fan works, why not a small radiator.

Comment

That'd be overkill, plus you'd have to find a place to put the tank...keep it full of water...etc.

The unit is designed to operate, as is, with no fan needed, but since it thrives on heat disapation, why not try to help it out some with a small fan that does not require tons of work to install.

~Adam

Comment

Or, just cut a hole in the sidecover over the R/R and attach a small clamshell air scoop. That would provide a whole lot more airflow onto the R/R than any little cpu fan is going to have.

Earl

Originally posted by AOD
            The unit is designed to operate, as is, with no fan needed, but since it thrives on heat disapation, why not try to help it out some with a small fan that does not require tons of work to install.

~Adam
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You cut your sidecover up and let us know how it works. :P :P

Comment

Might as well. I've already cut up the tailcone/tailight assembly, rear fender, seatpan, front fender AND sidecovers on the 83 1100E I'm redoing.. :-) :-) :-) (the bike was hit in the rear by a car)

Earl.

P.S. However, I probably should add that I cut them up to remove the broken areas so I could splice some molded fiberglass sections I had to make to repair them to stock form. :-)

Originally posted by AOD

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                  My thoughts exactly!! I just have a couple extra PC fans laying around that I could do some playing with. I am also building a 3 LED Voltage indicator (Red, low voltage: Green Correct Voltage : Red High Voltage) that will mount between the gauges so I can keep an eye on it. Thanks guys.

Comment

Not a problem as one of my many job descriptions is design and fabrication of composites (FRP/fiberglass reinforced plastics)
                    :-)

Earl

Originally posted by WesV
                    Originally posted by AOD
                    My thoughts exactly!! I just have a couple extra PC fans laying around that I could do some playing with. I am also building a 3 LED Voltage indicator (Red, low voltage: Green Correct Voltage : Red High Voltage) that will mount between the gauges so I can keep an eye on it. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X