GS850 Head interchangeability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mods so far

Only mods i have done so far to my $300 '80 GS850G is I put a set of stock GS1100G pipes on it casue the four into pne sounded like poo, and was rotting out. I also put a K&N air filter on it. Do you think the 1100 pipes gave me some top end? :twisted:

Comment

I don't think their is much difference in the mufflers. You do need the drive shaft for an engine swap-- the part inside the swing arm that connects to the engine & you will need to modify the rear eng mount

Comment

How much HP!!

Well how much HP am I going to get for the trouble?

Comment

A lot more. The GS1000 and 1100 have way more grunt than the 850, but then my 850 has a virtually open 4 into 1 pipe. It has lots of top end but it's a little flat at the low end. The bigger engines have a better spread of power.

Comment

I've never ridden a GS1000 or 1100, but no one should get the impression that a GS850 is at all underpowered.

The bike will happily blast down the interstate 2-up at 90MPH if that's your bag. You also have plenty of grunt (and "oof", and "uuurrggh" and and "mmph") for anything else you might want to do with a motorcycle, including humiliating squids and Hardleys at every opportunity.

You just don't have that OMFG, shaking-hands-with-Jesus, wobbly knees, involuntary incontinence, kind of power. 8O 8O

The bigger bikes weigh almost exactly the same, I think, but it seems to me that a lot more power would more easily overwhelm the frame and suspension. I already get some frame flex when I push it hard in the twistys.

With that said, I would welcome the chance to get even more corrupted by more power! :twisted: :twisted:

I think another factor is that the 1000 and 1100 engines are more commonly modified and thus better understood. With any of the G models, I think it would be a mistake to turn that smooth, torquey powerplant into a peaky, noisy screamer.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

[quote="bwringer"]I've never ridden a GS1000 or 1100, but no one should get the impression that a GS850 is at all underpowered.

No one's saying the GS850 is underpowered. It simply doesn't hold a candle to the bigger bikes. If you ever actually ride a GS1000 or 1100 you'll agree.

Comment

Their is no sub for CC 8) the 1000/1100 cruse at about 500 rpm less than the 850 if 5th

Comment

Absolutely! The 850 is a fine bike in it's own right, but bigger is better!

Comment

Working...
                  X