GS850 Head interchangeability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Head interchangeability

Can heads off different model GS850s be interchanged?

Before I go and strip the old head off I need to make sure the one I've acquired will fit and that there arent hidden surprises like mismatched oils channels etc.

I've a GS850GX and all I know about the head in question is that it takes 32mm CVs but I don't have a model/year number. I was pretty certain when I bought the thing that it would fit but now the doubts are beginning to set in.

The 79 head is the only one that will not interchange, the cam cover was also changed during the 82 year

Comment

Thanks Lynn, thats what I thought, but I always start to doubt myself once I've spent the cash!

Comment

Heads on 850

I have a '80 GS850G can I swap the heads with another GS to get some more power? :roll:

Comment

NO The 80 model got the bigger intake ports so you are good their.
          Maybe change to GS750/1000 carbs (34mm) 850 uses 32mm & GS1000
          cams ??

Comment

1000 Cams?

I can drop in GS 1000 cams and get more hp?? What are the GS750 carbs bigger than the GS850? If I did the 34mm carbs and cams what kind of power increases we looking at? Will 16V heads fit on the 8v engine?

Comment

The 850 was built as a work horse, the 32 mm carbs used on the 850 give it more low end torque. The 750/1000 are more preformance orentied - bigger carbs for a better top end with some sacrifice in low end power. I'm not sure which cams, I think the one to change is the exhaust cam.
              16 valve head will not fit

Comment

Got enough torque need more mid-high power band.

Even with middle of teh road compresion, loaded up with my 216 lbs. my girl 160 lbs. and full saddle bags and hard case on teh back my GS850G has enough low end grunt. Pulls like a tractor, but need more passing and highway power. You think the larger carbs and exhaust cams would help this?

Comment

A bigger engine would

Comment

Read my sig for the mongrel engine powering my 1983 GS850GD...

With earlier heads, you just have to remember to get the right valve cover gasket. I just got a silicone valve cover gasket from:
                    Real Gaskets Tennessee is a manufacturer of silicone rubber valve cover gaskets for aircraft engines, automobile engines, and motorcycle engines.

$25 and I'll never need to buy another.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The GS850 power question comes up regularly.

The easiest and cheapest way is to simply drop in a GS1000G or GS1100G engine.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

How much more

How much more power does a 1000 or 1100 have over my 850?

Comment

planecrazy may have a extra 1100g motor if you are intrested.

-ryan
                          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                          82 Kat 1000 Project
                          05 CRF450x
                          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Frame changes

Are the frame and rear diff., swingarm the same on the GS850G and the 1100G?

Comment

I think you also need the shaft from the 1100G if you go that route. I think the 850 shaft doesn't bolt up to the 1100G.

Comment

Working...
                              X