Stupid Front Brake Switch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My '80 GS1100's front brake doesn't activate the rear brake light. I checked the switch assembly and it came out in several parts. Check that. It came out in several more parts than it should have (the little actuator arm thingamabob was snapped).

I have a replacement Hydraulic Brake Light switch from Dennis Kirk ( http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=21717 ). I see where it gets connected in the headlight bowl.

Now for the stupid question...

Which bolt on the bike get replaced?

Thanks,
    - Tony

It won't matter, either the master cyl take-off or the splitter, assuming you've got one. If you don't have a splitter you'll need the double banjo bolt versions. You'll need to bleed the brakes afterwards - obviously!

Use plenty of rag, brake fluid's an excellent paint stripper...

Tony

Comment

OK, I think I get it.

Based on the 'Front Brake Hose' schematic (Fig 49), I should be looking to replace either of the bolts labeled "2" with the single banjo bolt, correct?

Makes a little more sense, now that I understand what a banjo bolt is. I'm slowly learning how these things work.

Thanks,
      - Tony

Comment

It may be a little late for this... :roll:

You may be able to use the little switch from the clutch lever (ignition interlock) to activate the brake light for the front brake. My front brake light switch got flakey too. Then, I actually wanted to get rid of my clutch interlock, so I hard wired the clutch interlock and used its switch for the front brake. They were the same switch; and, the one in the clutch lever assembly was in much better condition.

btw, my bike is a '80 GS850

Good luck!

Comment

I put a picture of one in the Product Review Section. Have a look at the "My banjo bolt is rusty" link. If I recall correctly the double bolt was a little shorter than I would have made it but it is doing okay.

Steve

Comment

Working...
          X