project musings and jetting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

project musings and jetting question

Hey All, just a few thoughts on my mods and a question.

On my 83 1100E:
    1. 84 1150 upper fairing: I really like the way it looks, and I get reasonable protection for my torso, I will probably get a taller or lipped screen (like the ones from powerbronze) eventually. I am not sure yet how I am going to trim lowers mounting points to clean up the lines yet. I also need to fabricate a rear pad or mount for my gauge pod, it moves around too much with just the bottom mounts.

2. Telefix clip-ons - love the new position, and having to move the forks up in the triples 0.75 inch to mount them actually worked out too. quickend teh steering a touch and improved the bike visual stance. the bars seem to transmit vibes worse though, I think I am goin to make my own "bar snake" dampers.

3. 530 conversion; love it, lighter quieter. note: spacer goes outside the spocket.

4. dyna coils : love em easier start, smoother idle. Not crazy about the carbon core dyna wires though, they are not bad, But I think that I will eventualy go to quality automotuive spiral core.

5. Emgo Pods, Dynajet Stage 3, Yosh 4:1 : Still working out the bugs (I am still planning submit an article on my exhaust conversion) but overall I am pleased. The GSRers suggestion to get teh stage three kit was a lifesaver, I would have beaten myself to oblivion trying to jet on my own.
    Are everyone elses pods louder than your exhaust during a roll on?

Now my jetting question, I have the idle good, and power just off idel is ok too. At about 1/8 throttle, (about 2200 rpm) it stumble a bit, seems a little worsre after it warms up, then pulls hard and smooth after 2800.
    I am running the stock Pilot jets, stock pilot air jets, DJ138 main, and my needles in the 4th slot from the top.

Any suggestions? I also welcome any questions or comments on my mods, there are pics at my site listed in my signature.

Derrick

i was haveing weird motor issues when i was running emgo type pods on my bike, i think they where restricting the air flow in, and i was getting some weird stumbles up hi. spent lots of time trying to adjust this stumble out. ended up going to k&n pods and the problem went away imediatly and the motor smoothed out. i don't if htis helps or not but trying running the bike with out pods and see how that works if it fixes it self try some k&n pods.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Delete

Delete
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Sounds like some good mods.

1. How about a pic of that fairing?

2. Clip ons are cool. You did do a carb synch, right? That basically eliminated the crazy vibes my 1100 had.

3. Yup, I love my 530 setup too. You running stock gearing?

4. Did you do the ignition too or just the coils?

5. Gotta love the massive inhale sound of pods! Mine start sounding like a tornado at about 3500 rpm!

About your question, Did you replace the ignition too? Reason I ask is that a faulty advance unit can cause those exact symptoms. Other than that, I don't know.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Hey Jetho,
          Pics of the fairing are here ( I cannot seem to get a pic into the post) https://<a href="http://www.msnusers...1100e.msnw</a>.

I have synced several times, but will probably do it again, just to be sure.

I stayed with the stock gearing, seemed to be a good balance for street riding.
          I did not replace the ignition, just the coils (budget is getting a little thin), but I may give it a try.

And as Ryan suggested, I will try running my bike without the pods, maybe with the pods partially taped too, along the same line of thought.

thanks guys

Derrick

[/quote]

Comment

Ok, did a little tuning this afternoon with the following results:

1. with or without the pods made very little difference in the way it runs, at least below 6k.

2. priced ignitions.....ouch, Is anyone running the dyna 2000? all of the others seem to need a mechanical advance, which I do not have.

3. tried leaning out the idle mixture screw, and the stagger at 2200 got better, but not gone. My idel however is not as smooth, and takes a long time to warm up. As the bike is ridden and warms, the stagger gets worse and the idle gets better.
            no spitting, or popping though.

At least it is ridable now
            now if only I could type

Comment

Working...
            X