Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"tired" yet

Looking for opinions on tires to buy.
    I will stay with bias ply and the correct recommeded sizes for my GS1100GLZ. Really would like to know brand prefrence.
    Looking for good all around performance. And good mileage.
    (this from someone who gets 100,000 miles consistinly from OE Jeep tires, and a Yukon). Dunlup, Michlin, or whatever etc
    thanks

Dunlop 491 Elite II's.....

Comment

I second the Dunlop choice. Always went with Dunlops, but my 83 came with the Metzlers on it. I don't like 'em as much as the Dunlops. Might be psycological though.

I always just walk into my local shop with my wheel and say find me an H rated Dunlop for this. Always love 'em.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

the Above Dunlops or Continentals. BTW, don't Expect 100K out of any bike tire!!

Comment

Dunlop Elite 491 II's!!

Comment

any body got the Michlin Mackadam?

Comment

I've been using Metzeler 33/55 and have found nothing I like better. The only negative to the ME55 is that I wear them out in about 2500 miles.
              I changed the rear a week ago (worn out ME55) to a Pirelli Sport Demon as some here have reported milage in the 6k miles range. I have about 500 miles on the Pirelli now and I am not at all impressed with the grip of this tire.
              On a wet surface, grip is about nil and the rear end fishtails if I so much as touch the throttle abruptly. The tire also drifts out easily on moderate curves
              at speeds I would consider "sit up, do nothing, and drive it through" when I had the Metzeler 55 on the rear. I dont consider the Pirelli any improvement over a Chen Shin and I dont have a high regard for Ching Shin. :-)
              (I wish I could remember how to spell chen shien/ching shen/ wing when or whater the H it is LOL )
              I will probably try a Dunlop next. If it doesnt grip the way I like, I will go back to the ME55's and just live with the low milage.

Edit....................... I've put another 200 miles on the Pirelli and it seems the traction is just now starting to come up and the tire is breaking in. Sheesh!, thats the most miles I have ever needed to break in a tire. :-)
              Hoping it continues to get better.

Earl
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I've never gotten much more than 3000 miles out of my Dunlops.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Dunlop's Fitment Guide (seems incomplete to me)

Avon's Fitment Guide:

Bridgestone's Fitment Guide:
                  No matter what you ride, Bridgestone motorcycle tires has what you covered. Having the proper tires is the foundation of safety and an awesome ride!

These ought to at least help you figure out what size you need.

I use Cheng Shin HiMax tires, I ride very fast and lean way over in all kinds of weather, and I've never felt there was a problem with grip in the wet or in the dry. I can get about 7,000 miles out of a set, but I usually replace them a bit sooner just because they're so inexpensive.

Opinions here on Cheng Shin tires are, shall we say, divided. All I can say is that I use 'em hard and they work great for me.

I'm saving up for a set of Dunlops, though, since everyone here swears they're The Rubber of the Gods. They don't make the GT501 in my rear tire size, so I'm looking at D491 or D404. YMMV.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                    I've been using Metzeler 33/55 and have found nothing I like better. The only negative to the ME55 is that I wear them out in about 2500 miles.

Earl
                    whaaa??????

I've done about 12000km on my rear tire (metzeller ME88) and it still has full tread....maybe went down about 3mm so far. 8O 8O 8O 8O

Comment

If recollection serves me, a 55 is a sport tire and the 88/880 is a touring tire.
                      I tried an 880 once and milage was much better, but traction was inversely proportional. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Poot
                      whaaa??????

I've done about 12000km on my rear tire (metzeller ME88) and it still has full tread....maybe went down about 3mm so far. 8O 8O 8O 8O
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

If Dunlop's your thing I was happy with GT501's Never did get to see how long they last, though. Was close to 5,000 miles when I went down. They were just starting to develop a flat spot.

Brad tt

Comment

Conti Twin, great tire and looks nice. I was able to get 7500 miles out of my last rear tire, check tire pressure before every ride and fill accordingly for the best performance and longevity.

Scud

Comment

Metzler front and back, and who would use an H rated tire on a GS1100E?

Comment

On the S Dunlop GT501 front and rear.
                              Rear has close to 5K miles on it, still ok, getting time to order a new one.
                              I rode about 100 miles at speeds on these and never once did the bike
                              twitch or wiggle. When warmed up, they stick very well.

On the E model IRC, came with the bike when I bought it.
                              Put a new rear IRC sportourer on late last year, seems ok so far.
                              But the E doesn't get used like the S in the twisties.

I had a set of Michelins years ago on the S and didn't like them.
                              Seemed to squirm around too much.
                              Keith
                              -------------------------------------------
                              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
                              X