Front Master Cylinder Level Glass Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Master Cylinder Level Glass Leaking

On my 85 GS1150 the front master cylinder level glass has a leak. Can these be replaced?

How big is the leak and where is it located? Could you seal it from the inside with a clear epoxy or superglue after you draw down the brake fluid level? Of course the brake fluid may gradually dissolve this coating over time, but might be worth a shot and save you time and replacement hassles. Best regards...

...Ross

Comment

superglueing it wont work.....brake fluid will eat it in no time. Possibly the epoxy , or some sort of silicone may work. However, whatever solution you find, you must make sure that it forms a perfect seal around the glass, or your just letting in dirt, water, and air into your brake fluid/lines (bad stuff).

The worst case is getting a new master cylinder reservoir. its a pain in the ass, and for me cost around 45 bucks cdn.

Comment

two ways to fix it without replacing it. First- remove the window and fill the hole with JB weld, 2th get a piece of plexiglass rod of the correct dia and cut a piece to fit the hole and polish the ends

Comment

I've heard of a machinist who could make a disk out of aluminum to replace these windows. I'm not sure how he reatined and sealed the disk, or who it was, or if it's even true, but it's something to think about.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up taking a 1/8" thick piece of plexiglass to a glass shop. They cut me a piece the size of a dime. I used JB weld to insert the plexiglass.
            Good as new now.

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X