Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coils

1983 GS 750 ES 8,500 miles

With all of the talk I've seen lately about coils, I'm looking further into buying a new set of coils. I have decided on Accel, so that's out of the way, but I have a few questions.

1) Will they improve performance?

2) Which set do I buy? CDI or non-CDI
    Yes, I feel stupid for having to ask that! So don't pick on me!

Re: Coils

JT, no GS of any model was ever manufactured with a CDI ignition system.
    You have an electronic ignition system.
    You want the NON CDI
    You want 3 ohm coils
    Yes, they do improve performance. Particularly, throttle response will be notably crispier. Gas milage should also improve a small amount and plugs will burn a wee bit cleaner. For the Accels, gap your plugs to 35 thou. Dont let anyone tell you you will need to rejet because of using the Accel coils. It simply is not true. Trust me. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by jtcrespo
    1983 GS 750 ES 8,500 miles

With all of the talk I've seen lately about coils, I'm looking further into buying a new set of coils. I have decided on Accel, so that's out of the way, but I have a few questions.

1) Will they improve performance?

2) Which set do I buy? CDI or non-CDI
    Yes, I feel stupid for having to ask that! So don't pick on me!
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks Earl, I assumed Non-CDI, but did not want to be wrong about it. Coulda been bad if I were wrong, I suspect!

BTW - Your advice in an earlier post about using talc and epoxy resin really worked great. There was a noticeable sound improvement as well. My bike sounds like it's not even running now.

Comment

An added bonus is your bike will never have a foot fungus. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by jtcrespo
        Thanks Earl, I assumed Non-CDI, but did not want to be wrong about it. Coulda been bad if I were wrong, I suspect!

BTW - Your advice in an earlier post about using talc and epoxy resin really worked great. There was a noticeable sound improvement as well. My bike sounds like it's not even running now.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X