Headlight issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight issues

I have a 77 gs750 and am burning out headlights like no body's bussness I seem to go through one almost every 200 miles, I am using basic car headlights found aty a generic auto parts store. ANy ideas??

Not speaking from experience here, but you may want to try a motorcycle type bulb. Our bikes take a lot more shock abuse than cars. The recommended replacement is typically a Sylvania Silverstar H4, I think. While the bulb may only last 6 to 9 months, it has a 1 year warranty on replacement. So, if you save your receipts, you may be able to keep replacing the bulb for free after the initial purchase.

Brad tt

Comment

Check and make sure the battery is not overcharging 12V bulbs don't like 16-17 volts

Comment

Check your earths as well. Bad earths can cause bulbs to pop on a regular basis.

Comment

These are also the symptoms of a burnt out regulator. As Lynn says, check your charging circuit.

Comment

Car headlights may not give you the best light pattern, but the longevity should be no different. I've used car headlights for years and it is usually years between replacement. I've also heard that car units are less durable, but my reasoning is that people use them in their work trucks and off-road vehicles so they can't be that fragile.

You definitely have an electrical problem as suggested above. How are your turn signals/running lights doing?
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Bike has not signals, the tail light has only burnt out once

Comment

Excessive vibration will shorten the life of any bulb. Is the headlight bucket vibrating too much? Are there rubber insulators on it that are worn?

If your RR was bad your battery would be cooked and boiling over.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                X