Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screws stuck on carbs

Howdy,

I'm attempting to start to take apart my carbs, however, after taking off the top "gangplate", and going to the lower one, all of the phillips head screws are in too tight, and I can't get them out .

I had bought a *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ ass impact-driver from J.C. whitney, but it sucks, and doesnt work (made in taiwan). I also used some liquid penetrant to try and help them, but nothing.

any advice? would i get some success if I took this to the dealer , and they did it in like 5 minutes?

thanks

Re: Screws stuck on carbs

Impact drivers are such simple devices, I have never seen one that did not work. Did you compress and rotate the top half against the spring and in the direction of desired rotation to "load" it before holding it in place and striking it with the hammer? Do you know that you have to repeat the setting process "reload" before striking it again. Did you hold it down hard into the slot and hard against the rotation stop before and during striking it? They have two settings also, clockwise and counterclockwise.

Also, the carbs must be on a solid surface when you strike the impact driver.

Earl

Originally posted by Poot
    Howdy,

I had bought a #### ass impact-driver from J.C. whitney, but it sucks, and doesnt work (made in taiwan). I also used some liquid penetrant to try and help them, but nothing.

any advice? would i get some success if I took this to the dealer , and they did it in like 5 minutes?

thanks
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

If your impact driver is junk find another one- those things are gold. My carb rack had lived on a bike outside for years. I thought they would have to be drilled out but that impact driver saved the day. Now I use it almost all the time.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Yeah, like Earl said, you gotta compress the thing so it's internal ramps are sliding against each other. Also do a little twisting of your own. It takes a little muscle. My impact driver came from PepBoys for about $9 and it has given me 5 years of loyal service so I'd be suprised if it didn't work either.

Made in Taiwan means it should work. Now if it was made in Millwalkie, then it would be suspect.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I usually use a pair of vise grips for the stuborn phillips screws. If you have problems removing the mixture screw and need to use an easy out ? MAKE SURE TO USE A LEFT HANDED DRILL BIT

Comment

OK Lynn, time for a dumb Earl Question. :-) I never heard of a left hand drill bit. Since a bit only drills a hole, what would be the purpose of cutting a hole with left rotation as opposed to right rotation. A hole is a hole. ????

Earl

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            I usually use a pair of vise grips for the stuborn phillips screws. If you have problems removing the mixture screw and need to use an easy out ? MAKE SURE TO USE A LEFT HANDED DRILL BIT

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Left handed drill bits used for removing stuck screws CC rotation. If the screw breaks loose it could screw all the way in making it harder to remove, with a left handed drill it may even unscrew the bolt / mix needle without the use of an easyout

Comment

I've had good luck with really stubborn ones by doing the following:

Take the impact bit out of the driver and place it on the screw, then whack it a few times with a hammer - not really hard, but more than a little tap. Then, without moving the bit, put the impact driver over the bit and use it like normal. The hammer blows seem to seat the bit in the screw head and the shock of the impact loosens the threads a little.

Comment

Aaaaah Haaaa! :-)

Earl

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                  Left handed drill bits used for removing stuck screws CC rotation. If the screw breaks loose it could screw all the way in making it harder to remove, with a left handed drill it may even unscrew the bolt / mix needle without the use of an easyout

Comment

I had a similar problem with a couple jets. I took the advice from here and bought a set of screw extracters. A couple of taps with a hammer (light taps) and then a twist with some pliers, and they came right out. However, this was with screws that already had a "pilot" hole in them. My only other suggestion, which has already been brought up, is to use an impact screw driver. The one I purchased had a phillips bit that fit perfectly into the rail screws, both top and bottom. I didn't have to tap it to remove the rail screws. If you can't get yours out, perhaps you should either try and tighten them first or heat them up, or both.

Brad tt

Comment

Working...
                    X