1979 GS750L carb compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS750L carb compatibility

We are looking for replacement carbs for my 1979 GS750L, and as it would turn out... it seems that this is a bit of an oddball for parts. Does anyone know of any other years/models that would have the same size carbs that might be a bit easier to locate? Or maybe point us in a better direction for what to look for?

Thanks!

77/78/79 GS750 & GS1000 & 79GS850

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
      77/78/79 GS750 & GS1000 & 79GS850
      Lynns got it.
      But be aware, if you get any carbs other than '78 to '79 750, there will be some jetting differences. Maybe just main jet size, but you need to compare factory carb spec's to avoid jetting surprises.
      Why do you have to replace the carbs?
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

We're having to replace the carbs because this poor bike has been abused and neglected all of its life by the looks of it. We got it on Ebay in January, supposed to be a "parts" bike or "able to get back on the road", but the more we get into it, it's pretty much needing anything and everything replaced. (Lucky us.)

We were going to clean the carbs this weekend, but as they were being taken apart, screws were stripped out, and one of the little brass idle mixture screw trips was broken off inside the carb and was bent all to heck.

We're looking to upgrade the carbs to CV carbs. We've yet to find any documentation stating what size the carbs are. We're guessing 32-34 mm. Can you help narrow this down?

Thanks a lot!!

Comment

You can NOT use the later style carbs They will not fit

Comment

Originally posted by LilTreeMouse
            We're looking to upgrade the carbs to CV carbs. We've yet to find any documentation stating what size the carbs are. We're guessing 32-34 mm. Can you help narrow this down?
            Thanks a lot!!
            The CV carbs will not bolt up to your head.
            Your carbs are Mikuni VM 26mm. They're used on the U.S. 70's 750/850/1000.
            Some have a thumb operated choke lever, and others use the choke cable/pull knob at the bars.
            Be sure to replace the o-rings in the manifolds and check the manifolds for cracking/hardening.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I have a '79 750L. 16 valves, CV carbs. It was a model crossover year. If yours is the same then other GS CV carbs should be a close fit and so are oil cooled gsxr carbs. You have to play with the jetting though. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by rikusa
                I have a '79 750L. 16 valves, CV carbs. It was a model crossover year.
                I've never heard of a "model crossover year". You should have either a '79 or an '80. Every '79 GS I've seen has 8V and VM carbs, unless there was an engine swap. What is a model crossover? Just curious.

Comment

LilTreeMouse...If any question to which carbs you should have, check out my website and look at the close up carb pic's.
                  These are VM carbs. If you have these, you need VM 26mm.
                  Just click the WWW symbol below.

Comment

Working...
                  X