Pods or Airbox? - 83 GS750ED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pods or Airbox? - 83 GS750ED

I removed my carbs today. Folks, this was one major league pain in the butt. I finally got the @#$%#'s out about 10 minutes ago. I started around 2 this afternoon (I did take a lot of time off). There is so very little room to work with it isn't funny. I figure putting the carb bank back is going to be even worse. This is my first attempt to clean out my carbs. I have the carb cleaning series all printed out and o-rings from Robert Barr (Thanks, Bob). I had heard removing the carbs was a big pain, so I wasn't shocked. I wasn't quite up to speed on how bad it was, however.
    I'm thinking about just chucking the airbox and going to pods.
    I have a Stage 1 and a Stage 3 jet kit that I picked up when they were on sale about a year ago. I figured on being prepared down the road. I'm not sure if I'm that far down the highway yet, but I know I'm real close.
    I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Denis I for one am much happier with the pods.You will hear both sides but after you get your carbs in tune with the jet kits and pods you will be so much happier with the performance .and the ease in which you can pull the carbs if needed.I can pull mine in less than 5 minutes.

Comment

I agree that PODS are the way to go. It may take a while to get the jetting sorted out but once you do you'll have a bike that runs significantly better and stronger. The ease of maintenance is a huge bonus.

Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I also have the '83 750ED. I cursed the life of the engineer who designed this mess. Getting mine in took about 3 days and a lot of cursing. I'll NEVER do it again. If I ever have to remove my carbs again, the air box is history.

Good luck and I'm curious as to what jetting you end up going to if you go to pods.

One concern I have is that the air box side also supports the carbs. With out that extra support, is there something you can do to help support the back side of the rack? Seems to me that all the bouncing and such while riding would want to make the carbs want to keep coming out of the intake boots?

Comment

dave as you know I have them and haven't had a problem and I haven't heard of others yet with that problem.although I can see what you mean

Comment

Pods are a great idea, as long as you or someone near you, can jet a bike properly and take the time to do it right. If your planning to work on your carbs all the time pods are the way to go. My carbs seldom need any attention so I can't see why I would need easier access to them.

Airboxes are a dumb idea anyway. Those stupid engineers should have just put four simple airfilters on the bike, after all it runs better, is easier to work on and looks cool, right?

I wonder why they would do something as crazy as that? It must be easier to design the airboxes, manufacture and install them than screw four little filters on.

I need to work on my dark humor a bit.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I'm not sure as to your set up, but when I was finally able to put my carbs back in I didn't have too many probs. This was my first time doing any carb work and my 1100 has the airbox then the filter box right behind. When I went to put the carbs back on (mind you this was after they'd been off over a month) I put the carbs on without the airbox in place. In doing so I put the throttle cable and choke cable on before i realized that the air box had to go on first. So, when I pulled the carbs off the engine I left the cables in place and moved them enough to replace the airbox. After about 10 minutes I was able to work the carbs back into position without too much effort. Keep in mind that I had the airbox inside (no heat in garage) to make sure the boots were pliable when I reinstalled the carbs.

Brad tt

BTW if I had pods, I'd try and put them in before the weather makes it a pain in the neck. Although I'm still sceptical of them since I ride in just about all weather environments.

Comment

If you go with pods, you'll use the stage 3 kit.
                Keep in mind that kit is also designed with a quality free flow exhaust in mind. The kits (DJ, K&N, Factory) also are designed for K&N filters.
                We'll help with the jetting if you need it.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Please dont overlook Keiths comment about the exhaust

Comment

I've heard that rain and a bike with pods don't mix......

Comment

I've wanted to put pods on my GS700 for a long time, and have the stage three kit and the filters, but can't find an exhaust for it.

I know about the GSxr exhaust modification that will work, but I'm still hoping for a shot at a nice aftermarket exhasut popping up on ebay eventually.

The first time I took the carbs off that bike, it took me an hour to get them out, and five years to put them back in (no kidding, I had given up, hence the pods purchase). Eventually, I figured out how to get them back in.

Spray the inside of the boots with silicone lubricant spray, and allow to dry. Straddle the bike, slide the carbs in from the right hand side, and angle the back of the carbs down. Get all four bodies started into the boots on the bottom, then, with one fell swoop, shove as hard as you can while angling them up at the correct angle. They should slide right in if you can do it with one shove. It helps if someone is straddling the front wheel, pushing backwards on the handlebars to steady the bike.

It's mighty tight in there. I felt your pain, but now it takes me about two minutes to get them out, and five to get them in.
                      sigpic

SUZUKI:
                      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

"I've heard that rain and a bike with pods don't mix......"

That's just an excuse used by fairweather wimps!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch
                          I've heard that rain and a bike with pods don't mix......
                          i think this all depends on diffrent bike models,

my 550 has "pods" from k & n but they are not conventional cone pods they are disk like and 2 carbs share one filter, k & n had to do it like that cause there was so little room in the frame.... anyway those pods hate the rain and choke the bike to death, rain runs off the gas tank on to my lap then dumps directly on the carbs. one of my friends has a 1100 with pods and never has had a problem with the rain. i think it's just a matter of how well protected they are from being dumped on from rain.

-ryan
                          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                          82 Kat 1000 Project
                          05 CRF450x
                          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I was in some serious rain, like 4 inch puddles and stuff and my pods didn't cause a problem at all.

Can't say I can seriously suggest the pods yet, I'm not convinced my bike is jetted right yet.
                            Currently bikeless
                            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Has anyone tried the pods from APE? At $60 (assuming for a set of 4) they seem to be cheaper than typical K&N's.

Comment

Working...
                              X