Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have an 80 mph speedometer???

Check this out on ebay

Hmmmm...... I am a little suspicious of this gadget.... If someone on this forum gets one please post with thoughts.....

Scud

Comment

Tell me what you are sispicious of.

I believe that auto speedo shops use some sort of gear mods to correct inacurate speedos. It simply seems to be a 50% gear reduction with some decals to match. Lets chat more about it.
      i changed the 80 mph head on my kz1300 to a diferent one(140 mph) but on the suzukis the head is not the thing that needs changing.

Comment

It looks good to me! the biggest down is that it also halves your odometer readings. Not a problem as long as your honest when you sell the bike, but with my flea brain I'd be sure to forget and run out of gas. Then again if the gas guage on your fancy - dan '80s bikes are actually accurate I guess you're okay. Luckily I don't have to worry. 140 MPH is more than enough speedo for both my bikes.

Comment

That thing is only made to cheat mileage. he meantions it about five times in there that it will half mileage.

Comment

I was wondering about that.

He also meantioned that you can easily cheat miles other ways. Heck you could put your original speedo on a shelf and ride with a 140mph speedo. Then at time of sale put the original back on. At any rate you can estimate your speed even if the speedo is pegged. I know the top speed of my suzi is around 115-120mph so when I have it red lined It's pretty safe to assume how fast I'm going. And when you get pulled over the cops are always happy to tell you for a fee:x.

Comment

Re: I was wondering about that.

I thought the speed limit in most of the US tops out at 65 or 70 MPH. If my math serves me right that is still under the 85mph indicated on my speedo. Why do I need this. Now I'm not saying that I don't peg that sucker once in a while but, speeding is speeding I don't have the need to know if I'm going 90 or 95. Maybe ya' all do. Course, my manhood isn't attached to my speedometer. JMHO

Comment

I think it's stupid. Especially with the mileage issue. Federal Crime it is to knowingly misrepresent mileage on a motorcycle. The corrected odometer statement is only for service of broken odometers , not because you wanted to see how fast you could go. Tampering with the clock is illegal, telling the DMV you did this may get you an interview in the back.

BTW, it will magnify errors as well as reduce speed display. If your clock reads 2 mph slow like mine does ( checked it against a few digital displays) it will be off by 4 with this device.

Forget it.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Hobbit
                  I thought the speed limit in most of the US tops out at 65 or 70 MPH. If my math serves me right that is still under the 85mph indicated on my speedo. Why do I need this. Now I'm not saying that I don't peg that sucker once in a while but, speeding is speeding I don't have the need to know if I'm going 90 or 95. Maybe ya' all do. Course, my manhood isn't attached to my speedometer. JMHO
                  I'll second your opinion (though I do believe that some of the western states have 75mph speed limits). This little item piqued my interest, but I'd have to say that once over 85 it really doesn't matter how fast I'm going. For one, if I'm with a group the last thing I'm gonna look at is the speedo. And secondly, when I'm solo, I've already gotten a "set" speed that I travel at. And I can guarantee that it isn't over 85. And even when I do bury the needle it's more of hit the speed and then immediately regain my sanity type of thing.

Brad tt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
                    And I can guarantee that it isn't over 85. And even when I do bury the needle it's more of hit the speed and then immediately regain my sanity type of thing.

Brad tt
                    Sanity is the exact reason I didn't buy a GS1100E in 1980 when it was new and I was 22 yrs old. I realized at the time that my life would be shortened by my attitude about speed at the time. Now that I'm in my 40's I understand that I could kill myself on this thing and ride that way.

Comment

You dont hve to like it-Some folks may think it is stupid but coming from a person who has a screwed up speedometer, i wish there was something to correct my problem. i will have to resort to using some decals. The smaller front wheel has thrown the whole baby out of accuraxy. It is not that imoportant but i would like to know when im doing 80 mph. my odometer is also always wrong.

Comment

I suspect that misrepresenting mileage is illegal, but having wrong mileage is perfectly ok in some cases.

In Utah, my 24-year old baby is exempt from odometer requirements. As long as I straight up tell the person I sell it to: "Hey, dude, the odometer is hosed," no problem. Basically I just have to check the little box that says "This mileage is a total wild ass guess." Handy, since my speedo cable is kaput and Stupid Dennis Stupid Kirk doesn't have any more right now.

Comment

Working...
                        X