Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'coleman' latern fuel used as bike fuel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'coleman' latern fuel used as bike fuel?

Hey I had a quick question about fuel for an '81 gs450L....I have a crazy friend that says latern fuel is 'better' than premium gasoline because of it burning cleaner and having better combustion....I am a newbie and don't know too much about all of that... I think I like the idea though I am concerned about causing damage to the bike...is it o.k. to use latern fuel and what are the pros/cons of this?..... ...thanx....

I'm guessing lantern fuel would have an octain rating of about 50 so you figure it out

Comment

Your freind is crazy. Unless your bike is a deisel.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

he must have some of the gooood stuff.

Comment

Re: 'coleman' latern fuel used as bike fuel?

Thats an easy one. :-) Your bike will not run on it any better than your car would run on Diet Pepsi. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by DUMAH
          Hey I had a quick question about fuel for an '81 gs450L....I have a crazy friend that says latern fuel is 'better' than premium gasoline because of it burning cleaner and having better combustion....I am a newbie and don't know too much about all of that... I think I like the idea though I am concerned about causing damage to the bike...is it o.k. to use latern fuel and what are the pros/cons of this?..... ...thanx....
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Back in the 70's when we had the first fuel shortage a buddy put some in a Suzuki TS90, melted the piston, don't try it.

Comment

Back in 89 when I was station at Zweibrucken AFS I ran out of gas on the Autoban. If the polize find out they will give you a ticket cause trying to run across the road can get you killed when a 930 turbo is hauling butt. Anyhow I had a 5L can of model airplane fuel for my RC planes about 10% nitro. That went into the tank and that VW rabbit ran, smoked like hell and wounld'nt do over 50 mph's but it got me to a gas station.
              1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
              1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
              1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
              1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
              01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Lantern fuel is basically K1 Kero and can safely be burned in diesel engines, but NOT gassers and not realatively sensitive motorcycle engines to boot (compared to High nickel truck blocks and such). Your friend is smoking something in my opinion.

Comment

I think your friend was talking about Colman fuel. This is a type of white gas, not kerosene. Yes your friend is right, that white gas is similar to what you can buy at the pump but with no additives.

[/code]

Comment

Colman fuel is Naphtha, it is a common ingredient in carb/injector cleaner as it is a good solvent, it works good for removing road tar from the sides of your car.
                    it is also good for cleaning the chain goo from your rear wheel.
                    it is also used as zippo and ronson lighter fluid.

Comment

I was waiting for someone to remember this, Amoco super premium gasoline, from back in the early 70's, before unleaded became popular, was the same as Coleman Lantern fuel. The Amoco premium was a white gas. Most other gasoline had color & lead added to it. This gasoline was clear and lead free, as was the Coleman fuel. The Premium Amoco octane was 100, in those days. Not sure the exact octane of the Coleman fuel, but it was very near the same as the Amoco Premium. Not to be confused with regular lantern oil, which can be used in kerosene lamps.

Comment

A buddy of mine ran out of gas on the way to the campground and put a gallon of Coleman fuel into his beater Dodge minivan.

The knocking and sputtering was truly amazing to hear. Even mixed with whatever gas was left in the tank, the Coleman fuel definitely wasn't doing that engine any favors.

It was definitely causing heavy preignition (knocking and pinging), and the minivan wouldn't idle or run smoothly at all. After filling the tank, the van smoothed out and ran normally after a few minutes.

So no, don't put Coleman fuel into an engine.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                        X