Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

screws unstuck....but not really.

Hi all,

I finally got the screws out of th gang rail on my carbs, but now theres another little hitch.

I have gotten the outer left, and right, intake boots off of my bike, but the two inside boots , the screws are stuck, and there isn't enough space to use an impact driver properly.

I screw I stripped already, and I'd like to avoid stripping the others. what would you guys suggest to get these out?

A screw extraction set i guess? I just wonder whether any old screw extraction set will work, or whether I have to try and find that "grabit" tool.

poot

I have a small pair of vise grips only about 5" long with needle nose tips
    will get into tight spaces

Comment

Go for the Grabit 8) 8)
      Should be small enough to fit in there and get the job done right.
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

you can slot the screw with a dremel and then take the flat screw bit from the impact driver and fit it in the proper sized 1/4" socket hook it up to a ratchet it should work well, you can also try to use a philips impact bit w/ a socket are remove thing before you slot the screw.

-ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I recently bought some 3/4" drive sockets that are #2 and 3 phillips and slot head bits. They were a nice addition to the tool box.

Like Doug suggested, those Grabits worked well for him. And if he can make 'em work, anyone should be able to!
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
          X