Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS700E info

To all,

I am thinking about selling my CB650 that I just fixed up real nice, and buying a 85 GS700E that I know of for sale.

From what I can tell, parts are kind of hard to find on e-bay and from aftermarket suppliers.

Any opinions about this from other members and other GS700E owners?

I was looking for a Clymer manual, and it seems none was published for the 700E. But I notice they are basically the 750E (UK version), with a shorter stroke.

Is the shorter stroke the only thing that differs from the US and UK versions? Could I use the Clymer manual for the 750E (UK version)?

Any other little quirks I should be aware of for this model?

Also, how long was the 700E in production? Are most of the parts inter-changeable within those years?

Thanks,

Chad

The GS700E is the destroked version of the 1983 GS750. The '83 featured an all new engine, frame, and bodywork, none of which is interchangeable with any other model.

The GS700 was made for one year, 1985, but seems to have been made in a large enough run that parts aren't too hard to come by. The 1983 GS750 was available in the US for only one year, but was available in Canada and Europe from '83 through '86.

Many pieces from the GS750 will fit on the 700, except for the body panels and tank. Controls, brakes, wheels, most engine components, etc are the same.

I like mine tremendously. It is a very well balanced bike in that it is very powerful (by the standards of the early eighties) and also very maneuverable (once again, for its era). Quite dependable as well.

Neither Clymer nor Haynes made manuals for this series of bikes. Suzuki factory manuals are the only ones available. They can be found from time to time on ebay. The GS750s they made manuals for are the older versions. They are pretty much worthless in regards to this bike.

I have two, but one has been through a flood, and the pages, though perfectly legible, are wrinkly. If you are interested in it, let me know. I'd send it to you for shipping costs plus a couple of bucks.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I've got two '83 750E's.

Finding parts is soo hard that I'm driven to four-letter words often. But I love the bike.

My understanding is that even de-stroked, the 700 made as much power as the 750. It's a great bike, if you've got the patience to source parts for it.

-Q!

Comment

Originally posted by QuaiChangKane
        I've got two '83 750E's.

Finding parts is soo hard that I'm driven to four-letter words often. But I love the bike.

My understanding is that even de-stroked, the 700 made as much power as the 750. It's a great bike, if you've got the patience to source parts for it.

-Q!
        I believe you are right the HP is about the same. If you watch e-bay enough you'll see 700 parts go through there pretty often. you just have to search for gs 700 gs 700e and gs 700es.

I love my bike and it has been really good to me. I even was able to locate a discontinued jet kit and 4 to 1 exhaust for my bike.

Good luck and this is the best for posting questions everyone is always very helpful and courteous.

Comment

the 700 was known as a tariff skirter at the time. H-D successfully convinced lawmakers to tax foreign bikes over 700 cc so Harley could sell some sporters and 883s.

naturally the foreign makers destroked the bikes and sold just as many that year. The law was short lived.

Honda at the time took the Nighthawk 750 and made it the Nighthawk S, a 698cc bike that some said was actually faster than the 750 model.

I liked the 700s and you could tell they were trying new things with the design of the bike. Think of them as a transitional model.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks for all the info!!

I'm leaning towards getting this bike. I think the performance and handling, mixed with the great support from this website outweighs the fact that parts are a little hard to come by.

It's got a sweet custom paint job that really makes it look like a 90's bike, I swear. I think it's around 23K miles. 1300 bucks asking price.

So assuming the CB sells for what I think it will sell for, maybe this bike will be in my garage within the month.

I'll let you all know how it goes, and if I get it.

Griffin, I really appreciate the offer for the manual. If I do get the bike, I may be interested. I'll let you know.

Chad

Comment

Neither Clymer nor Haynes made manuals for this series of bikes. Suzuki factory manuals are the only ones available. They can be found from time to time on ebay. The GS750s they made manuals for are the older versions. They are pretty much worthless in regards to this bike.

I have two, but one has been through a flood, and the pages, though perfectly legible, are wrinkly. If you are interested in it, let me know. I'd send it to you for shipping costs plus a couple of bucks.
              I'm intersted in the manual for the GS700 if you have it still. I will PM you in regards to it.

I just picked a GS700ES a few weeks ago and I need to do some work on it to get it road worthy.

Comment

1985 GS700

Dear Chad,

I have a GS750ES that I'm bringing back to life and parts are out there. Jet kits, rebuild kits for calipers and master cylinders etc. are available. If you buy used parts pay close attention to condition. The used part you are buying might be in worse shape than the one you already have. I have also adapted parts from other bikes, GSX(R) exhaust system etc. It is a nice bike, I can keep up with my friends blackbird in the turns going downhill but can't stay with him when accelerating, eventually I catch up. There are many performance modifications that can be made to the bike, different forks, tires and wheels etc. This site has many articles on this. Good luck.

Very truly yours,
                Mario

Comment

Maybe I'm just lucky,but the bike dealer near me can get parts for my '86
                  no problem.Might take the better part of a work-week,but the parts are usually there for the week-end.

Comment

GS700E

Factory parts are readily available. Some dealers can be quite pricey. Someone on this site posted the link below. Their prices are very good although I have not bought anything from them. Some parts for this bike have been discontinued.

CrotchRocket.com is available for purchase. Get in touch to discuss the possibilities!

Very truly yours,
                    Mario

Comment

Working...
                    X