Tube or Tubeless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tube or Tubeless

Im going down to the local Suzi dealer for some new rubber... I have a 78 750 with the aluminium mag rims and Im pretty sure they are tubeless but a buddy of mine had a 850 a decade or so ago and swears he had the same aluminium mags and they were tubes. Thanks again

If its a tubeless wheel, the word Tubeless will be cast onto the rim.
    If it isn't, fit tubes.
    I'm 90% certain that the 78 750 would have had tubed rims.

Comment

its a tube rim.

Comment

Put in a tube. Those old "pentagram" wheels do not say tubeless on them. The matching rear wheels do say tubeless, usually, so you'll have a tube in one wheel, but not in the other. You can try leaving the front wheel tubeless; some people have done this successfully, but I wouldn't do it.

In 1982 the wheels on GS bikes became all tubeless.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
          Put in a tube. Those old "pentagram" wheels do not say tubeless on them. The matching rear wheels do say tubeless, usually, so you'll have a tube in one wheel, but not in the other. You can try leaving the front wheel tubeless; some people have done this successfully, but I wouldn't do it.

In 1982 the wheels on GS bikes became all tubeless.

Nick
          I agree with Nick

Comment

Can you put a tube in a tubless tire?

I have a Rim that had a tubed tire on it but the replacement tire says tubeless. Can I just throw a tube in that?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Early GSs were tubed. The rim profile is different to later rim profiles, as they were not standardised back then. Tubes can be run in tubeless tyres. You only have two wheels, so best to play on the safer side!

Comment

I run a tube in the front of my 79 Gs 1000 E but not in the rear,, it came with one but the tire expert at the local shop said that since my bike is dressed out and tubed tend to make the tire run hotter and INCREASE the chance of a tire failure, he recommeded going tubeless, especially in the rear. He said he had done this many times before and has never had a problem on the gs's. I'll probably go tubeless in the front when I replace that one next spring.. I guess going tubeless is better than topless in the shape I'm in!! LOL

Matt

Comment

Thanks AGAIN for the help everyone. I cant begin to tell you how much help you all have been between reading the others posts and answering my questions I have gone from knowing NOTHING about bikes 3 months ago to rebuilding carbs and riding almost daily. You guys have turned what I thought was gonna be a part time hobby into a full time obsession, could be worse I guess (could be a harley). Thanks again and wish me luck Im onto a paint job now that she runs perfect

Comment

Working...
                    X